When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

One more parish visited!

I was able to participate in Mass at one more of the churches on my pilgrimage to visit each of the parishes in the Fresno and Stockton Dioceses. Today's experience was at Holy Spirit Church in Northwest Fresno. The church is less than 10 years old. Construction began in 2000. It is very beautiful, in a "privileged" sort of way. While the liturgy was very orthodox, and no less reverent than any of the churches I've visited in these dioceses, I am somewhat put off by all of the (in my opinion) excessive marble and the fact that the Tabernacle is in a "room" off to the side. I prefer it when the Tabernacle is given the highest place of honor and reverence. Again, it's just my opinion. When I first enter a church, I like to see the Tabernacle and not have to "hunt" for the sanctuary candle so I know in which direction to genuflect. The "glitz" for me was a distraction and I had trouble paying attention. I guess I'm spoiled because most of the churches I have visited were built in the early-to-mid twentieth century, and they have a "feel" of reverence. In this church, I had more of a feeling that it was built for entertainment, instead of worship. Again, just my own tastes. Here is a link to pictures of the interior:
http://picasaweb.google.com/HSfresno/InteriorOfHolySpiritCatholicChurch#5309036732975262242

I must say, however that I absolutely LOVE the art of the various manifestations of the Holy Spirit that adorn the area behind the altar and at least the church has a very beautiful, traditional and prominent crucifix above and behind the altar.

The next church on my pilgrimage list I'll visit that I have never been to (surprisingly!) is St. Patrick's in Angel's Camp. I'll be there on Saturday for Lorenzo's Sacraments of Initiation. I can hardly wait!

No comments: