When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, June 8, 2012

A potpourri post


I started several entries over the last few days, but time constraints (and my own lack of will-power) made it difficult to complete them.  Here's a sampling of what could have been great posts (IMHO):






I almost gave in today.  I did not want to abstain from meat.  I craved (of all things) a bologna sandwich for lunch!  On my way to Subway, I was actually dreading the fact that I would once again order either a tuna fish sandwich or a vegetarian sandwich.  “After all”, I said to myself, “it’s not a sin to eat meat on Fridays anymore.”  That led me to thinking about why I made the decision years ago to keep the Catholic tradition of meatless Fridays in the first place.  It’s not about me.  It’s about remembrance of the sacrifice Christ made for me on the Cross on that Friday 2 millennia ago.  So, tuna fish it was—“light on the tuna.” The bologna can wait until tomorrow.
********************************************************************

It often isn’t easy to speak to friends or family about our faith, but it is necessary.  Saint Paul tells us, “From now on the crown of righteousness awaits me, which the Lord, the just judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me, but to all who have longed for his appearance” (2 Tim 4:8). I need to remember this the next time I'm a little uncomfortable talking to someone about my faith- in the end, it is all worth it.

****************************************************

Having many things makes it difficult to depend upon God alone.  Being poor, and placing our lives in God's hands, allows us to keep everything in perspective and to give generously, "and not to count the cost.”

Lord Jesus, teach me to be generous;

teach me to serve you as you deserve,

to give and not to count the cost,

to fight and not to heed the wounds,

to toil and not to seek for rest,

to labor and not to seek reward,

except that of knowing that I do your will.

Amen.

-- St. Ignatius Loyola

No comments: