When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, January 28, 2013

Letting go


"Here I am, Lord. I come to do Your will." (Psalm 40: 8-9)

 It’s a powerful prayer.  When we pray this, we're saying to God, "I'm listening for Your command. I'm here to do whatever it is that You want. I come to do your will. Not my will. Not necessarily somebody else's will, but Your will, God. Whatever it is that You want, You've got it!"

Sometimes the greatest difficulty for us is in the discernment between what we want God’s will to be for us versus what it really is.  We still have a very human nature that seeks what is easy or comfortable and wants admiration, power and self-sufficiency.  We can fool ourselves about God’s will if we fail to develop self-awareness and trust in God’s love for us. This can lead to confusion about what is real and what is self-deception.
 
I have to be honest. I find it really hard to give God a "blank check" like this.

Why? Because I’m afraid of what He may ask of me.  I’m afraid of the unknown, the pain that may be involved.  I’m afraid of giving up control and possibly being embarrassed.  Maybe what He asks will cost me too much.

What if he asks me to go to a far-off land to help the desperately poor?  Am I willing to go?  It’s possible, but He's more likely to ask me to just go across the room to kiss Marilyn when she’s having a bad day, or listen to one of my kids’ problems without making judgments, or even phone my mother who may be feeling lonely.

I’m working on trying to discern what God is asking of me every day and learning to trust Him to help me do it. I know He won't ask more than I can do, with His help. I just need to give God a chance. I know I can trust Him.

What’s my plan to overcome my fear of following Christ completely without question?  I ask Him to help me. I tell Him about all my fears. Once I go to Him and list all the reasons that I’m so scared to death, at least they're out in the open. Then He can take all those fears into His hands . . . and they will no longer be in mine.

No comments: