When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, August 5, 2019

Chicken of the Sea Striper

How about a little humor to break up the noise of a cruel world for just a few minutes?

My brother Tom and I borrowed a friend’s boat one time to go fishing for striped bass in the river near my home. Never mind that we only had light rods and spinning reels designed for trout fishing, we were going to “catch dinner”!

We left before first light because well, that’s what you do when you’re a serious fisherman. We caught nothing before noon, despite changing bait, lures, and location several times. We decided to stop for lunch and talk about whether we should continue or just call it a day.

After lunch, we were on the water again and determined to catch ANYTHING! After a few more hours, I was bored out of my skull and told Tom we had to leave. He said, “I wondered when you were going to give u....” BAM! The rod bent almost in half, and Tom released the drag. When the shock and celebration wore off, he managed to coax the damned fish into the boat.

It was a big fish! The picture above that I found on the internet shows the size of the fish as I remember it. Plenty big enough to feed Tom, Dottie, Marilyn and me. Trouble was, none of us knew how to cook it. We figured we could just bake it or fry it like any other fish. I let Tom take it home to clean and cook it (I was no dummy!).

Marilyn and I never did have any of it. Tom told me the next day that he thought since it looked like a white meat and “tuna-like”, he had mixed it with a little mayonnaise and tried to make a casserole out of it. When I asked how it tasted, he laughed and said, “Don’t ask!” I never did and I never brought it up again. But it’s a memory that always brings a smile to my face.

No comments: