When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, April 25, 2008

I don't know which way is "up" today!

I'm suffering from a bit of vertigo today. I've had it on and off for a couple of weeks now, but it really got bad last night. I was seeing 2 or 3 of everything. Then I got really nauseous. I've been really woozy all day. I hope it wears off tonight. I have to work tomorrow.

What really bothers me is that I missed Mass today. I have tried to go to Mass at least 6 days a week (it's hard to find a Mass on Saturday morning before 8am, and I'm at work by then) since Easter last year, and I miss the intimacy of being with Christ when I can't receive him in the Eucharist.

But that doesn't mean I have to miss the Word. I can read it from several different sources. I was given a copy of "Magnificat" magazine by a lady at St. Anne's the other day, and I really like it. But my favorite is "Word Among Us" magazine. Their meditations are on line for free and a good source of inspiration for me. I'd like to post what is there today, because I have often given up on people who have disappointed me and I feel the meditation for the day was speaking directly to me.

St. Mark

When we see “Saint” in front of someone’s name, we may think they got that way by themselves. But St. Mark, whose feast day we celebrate today, tells a different story. He might have been completely forgotten if someone else hadn’t believed in him.

Mark was the son of Mary, a widow in whose house the early Christians often gathered (Acts 12:12). Although not one of the twelve apostles, it’s likely that he was one of Jesus’ followers. Mark accompanied his cousin Barnabas and Paul on their first missionary journey, but for some reason, he left them prematurely (13:13). When it was time for Paul’s next trip, he didn’t want to take Mark along. In his eyes, Mark had deserted the cause of the gospel (15:38).

Fortunately, Barnabas didn’t give up on him. While Paul went on to Syria with Silas, Barnabas took Mark to Cyprus (Acts 15:39-41). A second chance was all Mark needed. Tradition tells us that Mark went on to Rome, became Peter’s interpreter, and later wrote his Gospel based on Peter’s preaching. Paul eventually forgave Mark, commending him for his service and calling his companionship a “comfort” (2 Timothy 4:11). Tradition also holds that Mark founded the church in Alexandria and was martyred there.

What if Barnabas had rejected Mark because of his early failure? He might never have become Peter’s “son” in the faith (1 Peter 5:13). What’s worse, he might never have written his Gospel—which means that Matthew and Luke might not have written their Gospels either! If Barnabas hadn’t shown Mark a little compassion, who knows what kind of Bible we would be reading today?
The lesson here is that we should never give up on anyone. We’re not just individuals. We are family, and we need each other. God’s grace and love can cover “a multitude of sins” (1 Peter 4:8)—and not only sins but desertions, weaknesses, failures, and individual quirks as well. Our willingness to mend relationships can make a difference not only in our lives but in eternity. We never know who the next Mark might be, so let’s keep encouraging and building up our brothers and sisters!

“Father, help me to see the gifts in others, and not their shortcomings. Show me how to love, encourage, and inspire them to serve you better!”
Psalm 89:2-3,6-7,16-17; Mark 16:15-20

No comments: