When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Powerful Testimony from a True Believer

http://www.card-fxthuan.org/hiswords.php?words=faith
Today is the Feast of Corpus Christi (The Body and Blood of Christ). Monseignor Ryan's homily at Mass today began with some of the testimony from the former Archbishop from Saigon, Francis Xavier van Thuan. I am always awed by those who have such an unwavering faith that they can convert even their enemies and captors.

There are many of God's children who for one reason or another do not or cannot believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. And nothing in the way of science or reasoning, or logic or mathematics, or any other "I've got to see it to believe it" methods are going to convince them. The only proof we have is that Jesus Christ himself tells us , "I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world." Jn 6:51-58 Faith is the only proof I need.

Here's another way to look at it: When a man and a woman fall in love, they usually express their love verbally and often. But how can they know for sure that the love is there with just words, and no actions (no, not "relations") to back those words up? They can't, until they have built a trust
in one another based on intimacy and friendship and they can't help but believe unequivocably that the words have truth. It's the same with Jesus telling us that the Eucharist is truly His flesh and blood. He does not mince words with us. He tells us point-blank at the last supper that this is His Body which will be given up for us. And that the wine becomes His Blood which is the new and everlasting covenant, which was shed for us and for all Mankind, so that sins may be forgiven. And I know that this is true, because I continue to develop an intimate relationship with Him through thoughtful prayer and pennance that assures me of His Truth and allows me to believe in Him to the point that everything He tells me is true--I no longer have to see it to believe it.

No comments: