When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, June 8, 2008

You just never know when you are called

One Sunday morning two neighbors of 10 years came out of their houses at the same time. The first man was loading his golf clubs into his car. He asked his neighbor to join him for a round of golf. The second man declined, “No, thank you. I have to attend Mass.” What he was thinking was, “This guy goes golfing every Sunday. When does he find time to worship God?”

The second man was startled when the first man said “I have asked you every Sunday for the last ten years if you would like to join me in a game of golf. You have always declined because you are going to Mass. Yet you haven’t asked me once to join you at Mass”.

We never know when we will be called on by God to evangelize. This story reminds me that I shouldn’t ever pass up the opportunity to share my faith and beliefs with those around me. I don’t even have to be evangelical to evangelize. I just have to listen and watch for the opportunities. Jesus has a way of putting opportunities in our paths when He knows we have faith in Him.

The story also reminds me that I shouldn’t be so content and self-confident in my own reverence that I forget to share the Truth that is the Catholic Church. There are plenty of lost souls that are searching for the Truth all the time. I pray that our Lord places these souls in my path and sends the Holy Spirit to help me recognize them and give me the strength of faith and the courage to use that faith to spread the Good News not so much in words, but by example

No comments: