When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, August 15, 2008

Time to vent!

There are a few things that bother me lately when I go to Sunday Mass. The first is the talking. People chat away before Mass, during Mass (even during the consecration!), and after Mass. You'd think they could wait until they were outside to visit. I personally like to get to the church early and try to prepare myself for the miracle that is going to occur. It's hard to concentrate on prayer when you are forced to hear the latest gossip (complete with laughing!) from the parishoners around you. Kids (teenagers) are the worst offenders. What are the parents teaching them? Where is the reverence for our Lord? I think it's actually getting a little better, but not fast enough for me.

And what's with the clapping at the end of Mass? Christ doesn't need our applause! We have just been to Calvary! We should be somber. Oh, wait! The organist and soloist have PERFORMED for us! We should applaud! NOT! The Mass is not entertainment. It is worship. Let's treat it as such!

Those that go to daily Mass are a lot more reverent, in my opinion. At least I'm not as distracted at those Masses. I think the reason they go daily is that they realize exactly WHO they are there to see and worship.
Ok, I'm off my soapbox.

No comments: