When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I'm sorry if I offend some people by this, BUT

I am the guy that never responds to e-mails that end with "send this on to everyone in your address book", or "send to 10 more people and back to me, so I know you care", or, as I got today, "If you believe in God and in Jesus Christ His Son .. Send this to all on Your buddy list. If not just ignore it. If you ignore it, just remember that Jesus said. 'If you deny me before man, I will deny you before my Father in Heaven. "

Talk about a guilt trip! It's a good thing I am secure enough in my faith to know that Jesus will know that I didn't ignore Him or His Word by refusing to send pictures to everyone I know (no matter how beautifully they portray our Lord's Passion!). I sometimes feel like I'm being blackmailed by this type of e-mail. I know this is not the intention of the sender, and that he or she is just passionate about what they have sent. But please understand that my feeling is that we need to be out "there" preaching the Truth the way Jesus did--quietly, but forcefully, through example and good works. Seems to me that trying to force Jesus onto someone is not what He intended. Our love for Him and one another will be much greater if it is given out of love, rather than fear, or shame, or embarrassment. I think evangelization is much more effective through one on one interaction and living in and through Christ in our daily lives.
And if you are one of those in my circle of family or friends who actually believe that I don't care simply because I didn't respond to your e-mail or send it on, please believe me when I say I love you all with the Heart of Christ that is within all of us. God be with you. And you don't need to send this message to 10 more people. I would hope that they all know how much I love them by now.

No comments: