When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A prayer life

Psalm50: 23
Those who offer praise as a sacrifice honor me; to the obedient I will show the salvation of God."


Have you ever felt like “making time” for prayer was a hassle, or inconvenient? It happens to me all the time. But it was really brought home to me recently.

I look at my relationship with Jesus as a “marriage” of sorts. You know, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health and all of that. In fact, during my recent illness that put me flat on my back for 6 days with nothing to do but pity myself, I found little time for my prayer life. I was a miserable spouse. I wanted Him to make me well (and probably subconsciously even BLAMED Him for my illness), but I wasn’t talking to Him! It told me where I really stand when it comes to a prayer life.

After 3 days (coincidence?) I finally just said, “Please, God, let me get some sleep so I can start feeling better and pay more attention to YOU!” Within five minutes I was asleep, sure that He would take care of me. I just wonder why it took me so long to get around to asking.

At Mass today, the Psalm above was part of the response to the 1st reading. Of all the readings, the Gospel, and other prayers said today, this ONE LINE absolutely SPOKE to me! Prayer is supposed to be a sacrifice! The bigger the sacrifice, the greater the praise! But big does not necessarily mean grandiose. Sincerity and humility is what defines a true sacrifice.

You can be sure that I will be paying more attention to my prayers and making the time to speak with and listen to my Eternal Spouse, just as I make time to speak to Marilyn. After all, is not my Lord more important than anything in this world?

No comments: