When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, April 19, 2009

decor of prosapia (Latin)*

I thought I would title this blog today in Latin just for fun. The translation is at the end of the blog. But the fun comes in trying to see if you can figure it out by the substance of my entry today.
================================================================

I finally got to sleep in this morning! I've been waking up at 4am and on the road by 5am all week so I could get to work in Merced by 6:30. Merced isn't far enough for me to spend the night, so it's about an hour and a half there, then a 9-hour workday, and another hour and a half back home. I was worn out by Saturday.

Marilyn is the one who had to get up at 4 this morning so she could take Sarah to the San Francisco airport. She's on her way to Costa Rica! She enrolled in a two-week "immersion" class in Spanish. It's different from the class she took in Ecuador a couple of years ago in that this is with a private tutor 8 hours a day for 12 days. The course is geared more toward the type of Spanish she will need to deal with her clients. She is getting her regular salary, since it is for work, but we had to buy her flight and accomodations. She's worth it!

As I said, I woke up this morning at 7am (which, compared to the rest of the week was "sleeping in") because I wanted to get in the shower and be ready to take Mom to Mass before Alicia or Lorenzo got in there. When I got out of the shower, I was greeted by Lily (of course Alicia was holding her), who was smiling, cooing and giggling at everything. What a joy she is to have around! I thank God for her every day. I know she's going to be grow up to be special. She can't help it. Her Mom and Dad are pretty special, too.

Alicia said she was glad I was getting done early because she and Lorenzo and Lily were going to go to the 10 AM Mass and it takes a while for all 3 of them to get ready. I am so happy they are getting Lily started off on the right footing, spiritual-wise, as well as Lorenzo still showing a zeal for the faith.

When Mom and I were at Mass, I was watching a guy sitting across the aisle who was alone. An acquaintence asked him where his family was, and he said he had to work this morning and he was going to meet them in a few minutes. Sure enough, a couple of minutes later a woman and two young daughters showed up. The youngest rushed up to the guy and with great enthusiasm said, "Hi, Daddy!" He and his family acted like it was the first time they had seen each other in weeks! It was really heart-warming to see the love they exhibited for one another.

I took Mom to lunch then did a little bit of shopping for her before I had to start my trip to Bakersfield for a couple of days. The drive usually seems long, but I got caught up in a lot of the special programming Immaculate Heart radio was playing for Divine Mercy Sunday, and before I knew it, I was there. I think I said (or should I say "sung") 3 chaplets today!

When I got to Bakersfield, I was really hungry again. I wanted to eat some Mexican food, but I didn't want to go clear across town to my favorite restaurant, so I went to a little "homey-looking" place just down the street. I was curious why there were so many cars in the parking lot, and soon found my answer when I open the front door. It was packed! And the music was LOUD! A mariachi band was doing it's best to keep me from hearing myself think. But I stayed anyway--the crowd was made up of honest-to-God families! Abuelos, Abuelas, Tias and Tios, Mamas and Papas, ninos and ninas. And all were laughing and having a great time! I looked over at one table and there was the patriarch making the sign of the cross and leading his family in grace! And no one was staring or acting as if this was unusual! (Try doing this in a McDonald's!)

The marachis were done at 7pm, then karioke started! You haven't experienced karioke until you've heard it in Spanish and geared to families! I thought I was on an episode of Telemundo without the skimpy clothing! What a great end to a long day! It was fun!
==================================================================
Have you figured out the title of my blog yet? The events of the day from the time I woke up until I was finally in my hotel room all reminded me of *"the beauty of family". I'm sure glad I got my "Lily" fix this morning! I'm going to miss her until I see her again on Thursday.

No comments: