When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, April 27, 2009

Real Super Heroes

I sometimes wonder if one of the gifts the Holy Spirit gives to me is the gift of precognition. I don't say this as a matter of pride, just as curiosity. It is just weird that, as I said in a couple of earlier blogs, there are times when I will be thinking of something deeply and then I'll hear a sermon or some other speaker say something that is spot on what I've been thinking about.

When I woke up this morning I wanted to go to my usual 6:30 Mass, but I remembered I had a meeting in Fresno, so I decided to wait and go to the 5:30 in Lodi when I returned. Anyway, as I have said so often before, the days I drive to Fresno or Bakersfield are the days I have plenty of time to ponder things--usually my faith. Today was no different.

I no sooner got out of my driveway when I was thinking about my blog tonight and I had the idea to write about one of the greatest gifts Jesus left us on Holy Thursday--the priesthood. Here's where my statement about being precognitive comes in: On my way home, I'm listening to the radio and they say that Pope Benedict has declared this next year (beginning June 19th) "the Year of the Priest", and that he has plans to name St. John Vianney the patron saint of all priests, not just parish priests. It was a very pleasant surprise to hear this, because I think it just may help sway more grace-filled young men like Fr. Ware and others in our diocese into this blessed vocation. This move by our Pope is also a good one in that it serves notice that "yes, we had a problem with a small percentage of the men who abused their gifts, we have apologized, we are making reparations and have perfomed pennance, and it's time to get back to doing the tasks that we were commissioned by Christ to do".

When I was a kid (and even now) I loved comic books. Like all kids (I hope I wasn't strange) I wanted to be a super-hero because they could do really cool things and helped people simply because that's what heroes did. But I knew it was just pretend and nobody really had super powers.

Today I finally realized that I've known actual super heroes all of my life. Think about it. Most of the time, they're just mild mannered shepherds. Then when they are celebrating Mass or hearing confessions or administering one of the other Sacraments, they allow Christ to take over their actions and they actually ARE in personae Christe, or in the body of Christ. While in this "altered" state, they can't leap tall buildings or outrun trains, but they can do MUCH, MUCH MORE! They (through Christ) confect the Holy Eucharist, forgive sins, anoint the sick and lead people closer to God! Take a hike, Superman! I'll take a good priest any day.

Good priests are not going to fall off of a tree. I've heard of a lot of different ways that Bishops are coming up with to get young men interested. On church in Bakersfield has the prayer for vocations on the front cover of their missalettes and are said after every Mass. Another couple of churches have perpetual adoration chapels. A church in Modesto is concentrating on an all-male altar server program in the hopes that it will encourage the boys to a vocation. I think all three of these programs are good ones. Spending an hour in front of the Blessed Sacrament at least one time per week is going to be my commitment.

A PRAYER FOR PRIESTLY VOCATIONS
O Lord, my God, You renew the Church in every age by raising up priests outstanding in holiness, living witnesses of Your unchanging Love. In Your Plan for our salvation You provide shepherds for Your people. Fill the hearts of young men with the spirit of courage and love that they may answer Your call generously. Give parents the grace to encourage vocations in their family by prayer and good example. Raise up worthy priests for Your Altars and ardent, but gentle servants of the Gospel. Give the Church more priests and keep them faithful in their love and service. May many young men choose to serve You by devoting themselves to the service of Your people. Amen.

No comments: