When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Rambling on......


It's not often that I wake up in a good mood. Today started out terrific! I got to Mass at 6:30 am. The visiting priest (I didn't catch his name) was one I recognized from years ago but I can't remember which parish. He's about 7' tall (OK, he's only about 6'11") and probably retired about 30 years ago. But he loooooves to sing! He sang an entrance hymn (Come, Holy Ghost) and after the confeitior(sp) recited the Gloria. Pretty old school. We sang Immaculate Mary(?) after the Prayers of the Faithful and a Hail Mary, then we sang the Our Father. We finished up with another old standby that I don't know the title to or even the words right now. But I did know them this morning. Isn't that funny? The only thing that bothered me about it was the "informal" atmosphere he projected when saying the prayers. It was like he was saying Mass at his home altar. He probably does say his own Mass at home every day, and it carried over. I just wasn't prepared for it. Probably explains why he didn't perform "the washing of his hands" just before the Consecration. I think he forgot. Or it could be that the server who was attending him forgot to bring out the bowl. I'm pretty sure the Mass was still licit. The matter and form of Consecration were correct.

After Mass, my schedule called for me to work in Modesto. Actually, I'm supposed to have been working there for 2 weeks now, but the manager has given her notice and the place is a mess and I don't want to deal with it, so I've been "finding" other tasks that keep me away from there. The manager is due back tomorrow, so I'll let her fix her own problems before she leaves. I'll clean it up with the new manager in a couple of weeks. I just didn't want to get in a bad mood today.

I was pretty much on cruise control until just before lunch when my traffic manager called and asked me to do some equipment transfers tomorrow. Being a "team player", I said, "Sure, where am I going and how many trucks?" To which she replied, "Begin in Merced (1 hour from home), then make two trips to Sonora and back (1 1/2 hours each way), then take some more trucks back to Modesto (1/2 way home), then you can go home." I thought, "Great! I love to drive. I'll be driving my whole shift and I won't have to be cooped up in a store all day!"

But then she wanted me to find the drivers and set the times. While I may be a team player, the same cannot be said for a lot of my managers. They whine when they don't get support and when I want to support them, they refuse to help. Ah, supervision! It's not a career, it's an adventure!

I finally got the transfers set up, when Todd calls me and says, "What time were you going to be in Bakersfield tomorrow?" I said, "What????" It seems I was scheduled to cover Bakersfield at the last minute because the manager down there has to take an emergency "vacation".

So as good as I felt, I got really tired just thinking about tomorrow. I'm going to start my day at 5:30 in the morning. My transfers won't be completed until about 2 or 3 pm (I have to give the crew lunch and rest breaks by law). I will end up at the end of the transfers about 3pm in Stockton, then I have to drive all the way to Bakersfield , probably arriving after 11pm (I have to make stops and "small" transfers all the way down.) I will be there until 4 pm next Thursday. That's 8 days. My next day off won't come until the 31st! My last day off was Sunday. So here I am, exhausted--and I haven't even gone to bed yet!

But why am I complaining? I have a job that keeps me hopping all day and pays me well. I work for a company that all in all treats its employees with respect and is in no immediate danger of going under. In fact, all of the stores under my supervision and control have surpassed revenues from last year and made profit to boot. How many people out there have lost their jobs and homes and families recently?

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for all that You give me.

Thanks, Mom, for the daily rosaries.

Thanks to anyone else out there that remembers me in your prayers. I really do appreciate it and I am trying to reciprocate.

Oh, and sorry for the boring blog today. Not enough time to think. Obviously tomorrow I will have a lot of thinking going on. Uh, oh. Now you'll be expecting something spectacular! We'll see......(it is, after all, Ascension Thursday tomorrow!) ;-0 [I'm told this is a wink, in "text-speak"]

Our Lady of Lourdes

No comments: