When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Let's be on our way!

Gn 19:15-29
As dawn was breaking, the angels urged Lot on, saying, "On your way! Take with you your wife and your two daughters who are here, or you will be swept away in the punishment of Sodom."

When he hesitated, the men, by the LORD's mercy, seized his hand and the hands of his wife and his two daughters and led them to safety outside the city. As soon as they had been brought outside, he was told:"Flee for your life! Don't look back or stop anywhere on the Plain. Get off to the hills at once, or you will be swept away." "Oh, no, my lord!" Lot replied,"You have already thought enough of your servant to do me the great kindness of intervening to save my life. But I cannot flee to the hills to keep the disaster from overtaking me, and so I shall die. Look, this town ahead is near enough to escape to. It's only a small place. Let me flee there-it's a small place, is it not?-that my life may be saved." "Well, then," he replied,"I will also grant you the favor you now ask. I will not overthrow the town you speak of. Hurry, escape there! I cannot do anything until you arrive there." That is why the town is called Zoar.

The sun was just rising over the earth as Lot arrived in Zoar; at the same time the LORD rained down sulphurous fire upon Sodom and Gomorrah from the LORD out of heaven. He overthrew those cities and the whole Plain, together with the inhabitants of the cities and the produce of the soil. But Lot's wife looked back, and she was turned into a pillar of salt.

Early the next morning Abraham went to the place where he had stood in the LORD's presence. As he looked down toward Sodom and Gomorrah and the whole region of the Plain, he saw dense smoke over the land rising like fumes from a furnace.

Thus it came to pass: when God destroyed the Cities of the Plain, he was mindful of Abraham by sending Lot away from the upheaval by which God overthrew the cities where Lot had been living.

I can't even begin to say how many times I have read this passage, but this is the first time that I felt one line "jump" out at me! "Don't look back or stop anywhere on the plain".

I have been meditating on this all day. I'm sure it means different things to different people, or may not mean anything at all--to some, it is just a part of the story. I'll try to be brief in my explanation of what this verse said to me today.

The Lord gave Lot and his family specific instructions. They were very simple: Flee from Sodom and don't look back or stop.

Lot and his children were able to obey these simple rules, and God saved them from the destruction of Sodom and Gommorhah. But his wife was unable to resist the temptation and was punished for it.

This Old Testament passage reminded me of the simple instructions Christ gave to all of us--

Matthew 22:37 And He said to him, "'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'
Matthew 22:39 "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'

Pretty simple, huh? We need to "on our way" and "not look back".

1 comment:

lodimama said...

Don't look back! How many things in our past have we regretted doing and how many times have we been sorry for the same things, time and again!!!! Some things as Father Brandon once told me are already forgiven and so why keep bringing them up? Is this Satan trying to confuse us? Or is it just something that we really have to put out of our minds and/or thank God for forgiving us!!! Big or little, these things annoy us constantly and we have to keep praying that we can forget and stop "looking back"!