When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, July 10, 2009

Jacob's joy paled by what we can expect!

Gn 46:1-7, 28-30

Israel set out with all that was his. When he arrived at Beer-sheba, he offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac. There God, speaking to Israel in a vision by night, called, "Jacob! Jacob!" He answered, "Here I am." Then he said: "I am God, the God of your father. Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for there I will make you a great nation. Not only will I go down to Egypt with you; I will also bring you back here, after Joseph has closed your eyes."


So Jacob departed from Beer-sheba, and the sons of Israel put their father and their wives and children on the wagons that Pharaoh had sent for his transport. They took with them their livestock and the possessions they had acquired in the land of Canaan. Thus Jacob and all his descendants migrated to Egypt. His sons and his grandsons, his daughters and his granddaughters—all his descendants—he took with him to Egypt.

Israel had sent Judah ahead to Joseph, so that he might meet him in Goshen. On his arrival in the region of Goshen, Joseph hitched the horses to his chariot and rode to meet his father Israel in Goshen. As soon as Joseph saw him, he flung himself on his neck and wept a long time in his arms. And Israel said to Joseph, "At last I can die, now that I have seen for myself that Joseph is still alive."

Jacob thought that he had lost Joseph many years earlier, because Joseph's brothers were afraid to tell their father what really happened. So Jacob grieved every day for Joseph. When he met Joseph again in Goshen, can you imagine the joy he felt?

My guess is that even Jacob's elation at seeing his "long lost" son is nothing compared to the joy we will have when we finally share in the fullness of Christ in Heaven!

====================================================

Brother Bob chimed in today about the design changes to my blog, and said it was like reading Chinese, since the links and pictures were on the right instead of the left! So, in deference to my elders, I have decided to go back to the same format, but with different colors to "jazz" it up a bit. I also put a new picture up that I thought would get everyone thinking about what this crazy ride called "life" is all about! I chose the caption from about 10 that I found on line.


Here is a list of the best (IMHO) quotes out of hundreds that I read from online sources about the Real Presence. I created a poll on the left so you can tell me if you think I chose the right one! (Man, I'm getting the hang of this "blogging business"!) The only thing I can't get it to do is limit your choices to one. So please, vote for ONE of the choices only. I'm not sure I'll change the caption, but I think polls are fun, and at the very least, it may get some of you thinking more about the Real Presence!



"The Eucharist is the heart of the Church. Where Eucharistic life flourishes, there the life of the church will blossom."
- Pope John Paul II


"The surest, easiest, shortest way is the Eucharist,"
- Pope St. Pius X


"The Eucharist is everything, because from the Eucharist, everything is,"
- St. Peter Julian Eymard



"The Eucharist is the source and summit of the Christian life,"
- Pope John Paul II


"The Eucharist is that love which surpasses all loves in Heaven and on earth,"
- St. Bernard


"Happy is the soul that knows how to find Jesus in the Eucharist, and the Eucharist in all things!,"
- St. Peter Julian Eymard


"The time you spend with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament is the best time you will spend on earth. Each moment that you spend with Jesus will deepen your union with Him and make your soul everlastingly more glorious and beautiful in Heaven, and will help bring about everlasting peace on earth,"
- Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta


"When we go before the Blessed Sacrament, let us open our heart; our good God will open His. We shall go to Him; He will come to us; the one to ask, the other to receive. It will be like a breath from one to the other,"
- St. John Vianney


“We should consider those moments spent before the Blessed Sacrament as the happiest of our lives.”
- St. John Vianney – The Cure of Ars


"From the Eucharist comes strength to live the Christian life and zeal to share that life with others."
- Pope John Paul II


"The greatest love story of all time is contained in a tiny white Host."
- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen


"This is the wonderful truth, my dear friends: the Word, which became flesh two thousand years ago, is present today in the Eucharist,"
- Pope John Paul II


"Trust all things to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and to Mary Help of Christians and you will see what miracles are."
- St. John Bosco

No comments: