When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Good things come to those who wait (and trust in God)

I was in a conversation with Mom the other day about my blog and the changes I do occasionally and she said she likes it better now that I just provide links to the readings instead of writing them out. Then I told her I was thinking about actually getting a day ahead of the readings because sometimes I don't get to write my blog until well after 10 pm and by the time people read it, they have already "put their own spin" on the readings, or they're thinking about the new readings they heard at the early morning mass. Soooo, another change today. I will post links to both today's readings AND tomorrow's readings, and comment on the next day's readings to keep your thoughts on today's (by the time some of you read it) Word. Confused? So am I--but trust me, you'll like it. "Good things come to those who wait". Oh, I shouldn't have used that line--what if I don't come through?
==================================================================
Today's (September 8) readings
Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Micah 5:1-4a or Romans 8:28-30
Psalm 13:6ab, 6c
Matthew 1:1-16, 18-23 or 1:18-23
(See yesterday's blog for my comments on Our Blessed Mother's Nativity)
==================================================================
Tomorrow's (September 9) readings
Memorial of St. Peter Claver, S.J. (U.S.)
Colossians 3:1-11
Psalm 145:2-3, 10-11, 12-13ab
Luke 6:20-26

The old cliché says, "Good things come to those who wait." The thing is, sometimes I find this cliché hard to believe. For instance, when I am waiting in line at the bank, waiting for permission to some task or other at work so I can move ahead, or waiting to be seated at that new restaurant in town--and don't even get me started on the DMV! In these instances I have found that the waiting, or what follows it is usually unwelcome or not all that good.

In reading tomorrow’s gospel I also find it hard to find the good in poverty, hunger, crying and persecution. These seem to be things that we should cure and tackle head-on to eliminate suffering in our world, and in many cases we DO that (if we can just come up with a national health plan that works for the dignity of every citizen!). But here is where the old cliché comes back into play. Our Lord promises that good things will come, and for all eternity in his kingdom.


The beatitudes are difficult to understand and I admit that I sometimes struggle with them. But I know for certain that the Lord's promises are true and in times of pain we can be sure that a better future awaits us.

The blessings and the curses that Jesus espouses are all about where our hearts are. A wealthy person stands to lose much and so may be concerned more for his or her wealth than for his or her soul. A poor person doesn't stand to lose much, and so has some small blessing in that, but it is a blessing easily lost if one's entire focus is poverty.

Jesus is telling us, I think, that the person who is blessed is the person for whom God is the most important thing in life--rich or poor, male or female, powerful or weak--if the first thought in the morning and the last thought in the evening are of how to please God more, we are blessed.

No comments: