When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A laborer for God

October 1, 2009
Nehemiah 8:1-4a, 5-6, 7b-12
Psalm 19:8, 9, 10, 11
Luke 10:1-12

Try to imagine what it must have been like to be a disciple, a follower of Jesus during his life. These often seemingly common men and women accomplished great things, and the gospels often show their very human sides. What must it have been like to be sent away to prepare for Jesus to visit towns? The instructions in the gospel don’t make it appear to be an easy task. This is no easy journey, no first-class junket. The disciples hear the harvest is plenty, but laborers few. They’ll be like lambs among wolves. They won’t have money or lunch (I’m not sure I could survive under THOSE conditions! Lol). These were truly road warriors. But they did it. We know that they had questions sometimes, and doubts. They still did it.

That’s an important lesson for me. I need to keep taking the steps of my journey, even when I am not feeling particularly close to God. Remembering to do the little things, such as a quick prayer when I wake up; and a thank-you to God when grace helps me say the right thing in a difficult conversation; the time to center myself and reflect on the small blessings that I encounter everyday.

The deeds of the disciples and the small things that we each can do are brought together today (October 1) as it is the feast of Saint Thérèse, virgin and doctor of the church. She’s also known as the Little Flower. Though she lived in a cloister and died very young, she sought to find holiness in everyday life and everyday actions because she realized that she was probably not going to perform great deeds for God.

We have to listen for our own call and find holiness in life. For some that call will be for the road, and for some, the journey will take place closer to home. We have to be open and ready for the trip.

That brings me to another topic! October is the Month of the Rosary. There is no single greater weapon in our arsenal against the father of lies and murderer from the beginning than the rosary. Many of my previous blogs emphasize the role the rosary plays in my life. Saying the rosary daily--whether you say all 4 decades every day, or just one decade--can lead you to open your heart to Christ through His Holy Mother. At the left side of this blog is a link to the Holy Rosary that I use quite often when I'm not "in the mood" to pray the rosary by myself and I can't get someone to join me. Once I start though, I get "in the mood" very quickly as I meditate on the life of our Lord and what He has done for me. It's the least I can do.

Also, in case your interested, here ( Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus )is a link to the AmericanCatholic.org Saint of the Day entry on-line.

Peace to all of you on your personal journeys. May the harvest be abundant, as Christ promises.

No comments: