When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Trying to keep my eyes on the prize

Lily is my "ghost-writer" tonight as I type this. She has pretty much worn out her parents and Marilyn today because she refuses to take a nap for some reason. But "Oompah" is still here for her--and she knows it! She is crawling now and there's no holding her back. She was in the front room "reading" her books and playing with her toys, so I thought I would tackle my blog entry. The minute I sat at my desk and turned on the light, the little dickens was on the fast track towards me and climbed up my leg and looked at me as if to say, "Oompah! Pick me up! I want to help you!" How could I refuse? The only drawback is that it is tough to type with one arm going around her right side and one arm going around her left and trying to keep her from hitting the keyboard at the same time! So if have any misspelled words or grammar errors, I can blame Lily! How shameless is that?
==========================================================
Monday, September 28, 2009
Zechariah 8:1-8
Psalm 102:16-18, 19-21, 29 and 22-23
Luke 9:46-50

St. Luke’s ninth chapter is filled with familiar and important stories. First he sends the twelve on their mission. Then the multiplication of loaves, and then the intimate sharing with Peter in his “confession” – that Jesus indeed is the Messiah. This is followed by Jesus’ prediction of his own passion and death and his entry into the Kingdom of God.

Then two more stories follow: the uplifting transfiguration and then a cure of a demoniac. All this is followed by yet another prophecy by Jesus of his passion and death. (In our readings this past week we have read only the two episodes when Jesus is telling his disciples that he will suffer and die.)

In today’s gospel the ambition and vanity of the twelve is shown when they ask Jesus who will be greatest among them in the Kingdom of God. Jesus responds by simply placing a young child in their midst to show them and humble them: “Whoever receives this child in my name receives me … the least among all of you is the one who is the greatest!”

I got to thinking—After all these uplifting stories in Luke, chapter nine, why do the twelve show such selfishness and pettiness? Did they need to be hit upside the head with a two by four?

Then I thought maybe I should examine my own conscience. Deep down (Okay, not so deep down) I would like to be highly esteemed, to be powerful, to be in complete control of my own destiny. In a sense, I am in control through the use of my free will. But as a Christian, I am “to take up my cross and follow Jesus.” Many times I am tested to be selfish. At these times I have to learn to respond and follow Jesus by following his example: by being understanding, tolerant, loving, fair, non-judgmental with all whom I meet.

Doing this is not so easy and that is the “cross” that all of us are asked to take up as we follow Jesus. We so easily gossip about others—I think this is probably my biggest temptation—hold grudges for long times, and are unforgiving even as we call upon the Lord to forgive us again and again. He does this because he loves us but we don’t forgive others because we lack this love for others.

Above all we should have faith and trust in Jesus that in spite of all our poor efforts to follow him, he still will save us so that our hoped-for goal of union in love with him in his Kingdom will be fulfilled. But whatever position we happen to receive when we finally get to heaven is certainly a gift from God that we certainly don’t deserve but gladly accept.

No comments: