When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Lily

Thursday, October 29, 2009
The Luminous Mysteries
Romans 8:31b-39
Psalm 109:21-22, 26-27, 30-31
Luke 13:31-35

When my children were babies I had a job that was pretty straightforward as far as a schedule goes. I could count on being home every night and waking up in my own bed every morning. I could count on being able to comply with the occasional request from the school or church for help. I could attend most of the kids' recitals, activities and ceremonies. I never had the occasion to miss their presence for any extended length of time.

Even for the first few years with U-Haul, I could pretty much count on the same things. Then I took the promotion that has kept me in hotel rooms, on the road, and away from my family for days or weeks at a time.

This past week has been really rough for me. Not because the work was any harder than usual or the hours were longer than usual--although they were--but because I really missed Lily. I missed Marilyn, too, (like I always do), but I was beside myself wanting to see Lily's smile and her eyes sparkle at me the way they do, and I couldn't see them from 300 miles away.

Just before I left for this trip, Alicia gave me a couple of pictures to keep with me and look at while I was gone. I started showing them to the girls at the office during my meeting last week, and Kellie--a good friend--asked if the pictures were for her "wall". She has pictures of our co-workers and their children on a wall in the office that is meant to generate a "family feeling". It works for the most part. Anyway, I told her she could have the pictures, since I don't often get in on the picture taking opportunities because I don't live in Fresno. She was so excited. She put the pictures dead-center in the middle of the board where they are very prominent.

But I digress. When I walked in the door this evening, I thought Lily would be in the bathtub because it was her usual bath time. But her father was caught in a traffic jam on his way home from work and so Alicia decided to postpone Lily's bath until Lorenzo got home and had a little "play time" with her. I'm so glad she did!

As soon as I walked in the door, Marilyn said, "Look, Lily! Oompah's home!" She couldn't crawl over to me fast enough, with the biggest grin I've ever seen on her face! She wanted me to pick her up, and although I didn't want to (lol), I complied. She started jabbering away like she was telling me everything she did the week I was gone and didn't want to leave any details out. And giggled and giggled and giggled. My heart just melted. I feel so elated right now, I can't concentrate on tomorrow's readings. So I'll just post them in the usual way, and let you read them and interpret them in your own way. I don't want to lose the moment.

No comments: