When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Someone is ALWAYS listening!

Friday, October 16, 2009
The Sorrowful Mysteries
Romans 4:1-8
Psalm 32:1b-2, 5, 11
Luke 12:1-7

In the Epistle of James we are warned to bridle the tongue, the cause of much evil. (James 1:26) We are told to keep a watch over what we say because we speak out of the fullness of our hearts. Idle words and hurtful words are reflective of the state of our hearts.

In the gospel, Christ tries to impress upon His followers the significance of all their actions. He states that "There is nothing concealed that will not be revealed." (Luke 12:2)

The statement is an obvious one to us as we realize that God knows everything. As the same reading states " even the hairs on our head are numbered." (Luke 12:7)

"Whatever is said in darkness will be heard in the light. . ." (Luke 12:3)

Here Jesus tells us that what is spoken in darkness will be heard in the light, proclaimed from the housetops. What is the practical meaning of this? When James tells us to bridle our tongues, he does not mean merely when we are talking to others, but when we are talking to ourselves as well. We are not to bear false witness even in the privacy of our own heads. We are not to "speak" ill of anyone by words or by thoughts. We are not allowed the luxury of silent lips and active mind. What we speak in the darkness of our own minds will be heard aloud. How many times do we think something that, if we were to hear it aloud, we would be absolutely mortified?

I had several episodes of this very thing earlier this week while on my “adventure on the 395”. Every time something went wrong that I felt was the result of someone’s carelessness or stupidity, or some driver passed me in a dangerous manner, I found myself saying something under my breath that I would be ashamed to say out loud. Then I thought to myself, “Well, I guess it’s a good thing no one can hear me. I would have to confess that!” Then I read this gospel passage and I realized that the only One who matters DID hear me! So I guess it’s off to confession on Saturday!

This is what Jesus cautions us against. How can we keep so close a watch over what we say? It's actually pretty easy when our focus is right. Why would we want to say anything at all about other people (save good things) if our focus is on loving God? Why would we worry about what is said in darkness if Christ is our Light? If we follow Jesus' admonition, "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness," we'll find little cause to clamp down on stray thoughts, because all of our thoughts will belong to Him.

The gospel is a good reminder that our gift of free will also holds us accountable for our actions. Let us use that gift for the glory of God!
=======================================================
I hope this entry made sense. Sometimes it is very difficult to write on a particular's day's Scripture passages. Often it is because I really don't understand what the message means, according to the teachings of the Church and I'm reluctant to write anything that might be misleading. So what I try to do is to pray over the Word of God that it might guide and direct me on the path laid before me, and that the sacred texts will be the "food for my "journey".

I'm also fortunate that I can discuss my thoughts and meditations on Scripture with you, my readers, and I hope I can rely on you to correct me if I'm astray in my thoughts.

I have to try not to be worried about what I don't understand, but rejoice in what I do understand! This gospel ends with a very good piece of advice for me--and maybe you, too.

"Are not five sparrows sold for two small coins?
Yet not one of them has escaped the notice of God.
Even the hairs of your head have all been counted.
Do not be afraid.
You are worth more than many sparrows." (Luke 12:6-7)

No comments: