When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, October 19, 2009

Those "terrible twos"

Tuesday, October 20, 2009
The Sorrowful Mysteries
Romans 5:12, 15b, 17-19, 20b-21
Psalm 40:7-8a, 8b-9, 10, 17
Luke 12:35-38

St. Paul’s letter to the Romans reminds me of those parents who have children in the "terrible two's," a stage of development when they live by the word, "NO!" It is an exasperating time for the parents and a potentially dangerous time for a child who does not see the possible pain and suffering his disobedience could cause him. Sadly, many adults never outgrow this stage and remain unseeing and uncaring of the consequences of their behavior to themselves and others.

St. Paul reminds his flock that Adam and Eve's disobedience initiated man's fall into sin; when they countered God's instruction, they usurped His position and became their own "little gods."

In contrast, Paul cites Christ's obedience to His Father's law of love. At great cost, His pain and death, He won for sinful man the option of being cleansed of sin and made righteous through their dying with Him to the inordinate demands of their flesh and instead living in God's will, in His good Spirit. This world's turmoil is caused by man's "NO" to our heavenly Father's gift of new life in Christ. Or at least our underestimating His love.

Monsignor Moore told a story about our tendency to always want more and more from God, even though He's already given us all we need:

A man answers a knock at his door. When he opens the door there is another man standing there who asks, "Are you the man who saved my son from drowning in the canal yesterday?" Proudly, and with anticipation of the gratitude he will receive, the man replies, "Yes, I am."

The stranger then asks in a very indignant tone, "Well then, what did you do with his hat?", completely overlooking the very big fact that his son is alive, and focusing instead on his possessions.

In the Gospel Jesus talks to us about the necessity of being prepared for His final coming. It is something we know is important and I'm sure something we all intend to do. But somehow and so often, many things get in the way, and we end up saying, “NO!”

I have frequently thought how I will feel when my time is up and I realize I have failed miserably to be the kind of loving person God has called me to be. It's enough to bring me to momentary tears until I remember that Jesus is a merciful judge, and my hope rises again.

Please Lord, listen to my prayer, all my hope is in Your mercy.

No comments: