When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, October 24, 2009

We need only ask with confidence

Well, I thought I was doing pretty good on my "pilgrimage". There are 126 different parishes in the central valley between the Fresno and Stockton dioceses. I never looked at it until tonight, when I was feeling great that I went to Mass at a different parish in Porterville. I have only visited 46 parishes so far. That's less than 40%! I've been on my pilgrimage for a little over 2 years. At this rate, it will take another 3 years and some focus to attain my goal--but with God's help (and my schedule)--I'll get there.


================================================================
Sunday, October 25, 2009
The Glorious Mysteries
Jeremiah 31:7-9
Psalm 126:1-2, 2-3, 4-5, 6
Hebrews 5:1-6
Mark 10:46-52

Often these days, we run into people who are discouraged at losing their jobs, or worried about their children who are out of work and low on cash. Others of our friends or neighbors are just gloomy and pessimistic about the confusion in our country as to what direction to go with reform of our health care. How can we bring about peace and security? How can we act responsibly toward our natural resources and the environment? We are confused. As to issues of morality in our society, forget it! Our standards as to what are right and wrong seem to crumble more each day! And so, in frustration we cry, "Enough, Lord!"

These readings give us a much-needed boost. In the first reading, the prophet Jeremiah assures the Israelites that the day is coming when God will bring them out of slavery in Babylon back to Jerusalem. He will bring all of them back—the blind, the lame, mothers and babies, the broken and the battered—all who are repentant of their infidelities. God has promised, and He will do it.

The Gospel shows us that the fullness of that promise will come through Jesus Christ. The scene is the final healing that Jesus performed before returning to His passion and death in Jerusalem. A blind man named Bartimaeus called out, "Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me." Bartimaeus hardly expected a response from the One whom he acknowledged as the messiah, Who asked him, "What do you want me to do for you?" Bartimaeus responded, "Master, I want to see." And Jesus gave to Bartimaeus the gift he asked for!

As Jesus healed this blind man because he wanted so desperately to see, He will heal all of us who long to be cured of our spiritual blindness, our hopelessness, and our sinfulness, if only we have faith and trust to battle an indifferent world and cry more loudly to our Savior for our personal and public needs.

No comments: