When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, November 12, 2009

The cure for embarrassment and disappointment


Friday, November 13, 2009
The Sorrowful Mysteries
Memorial of Saint Frances Cabrini (in the US)
Wisdom 13:1-9
Psalm 19:2-3, 4-5ab
Luke 17:26-37

I was feeling oh so sorry for myself and my boss after listening to the “higher ups” in the company tear us down and nit-pick us to death during an inspection of our stores until I read this Wisdom passage. It brought to mind my drive home today. I didn’t want to bring my feelings of embarrassment or disappointment home with me, so I took a longer route home through some of the tree-lined residential neighborhoods. The writer of Wisdom wisely tells us how stupid we can be as we go about our day, often oblivious to the wonders and beauties of God’s creation that surround us. How true this is! There is nothing that compares to the fall colors in the leaves of the trees and blue of the sky and even the stars at night! And don’t forget about His greatest creation—us! (EVEN those who embarrass and disappoint us!)

Yes, we can marvel at the beauty all around, but don’t stop there! Marvel at the creator! Spend a few quiet moments breathing in the presence of the One who gave us all this.

Although my job is not in jeopardy in any way, experiences like the last couple of days made me think about the possessions I might lose if I ever lost my job. Luke reminds us that reliance on possessions is useless, just as it is to wonder and worry about when we’ll die and what happens when we do. May our faith strengthen our hope and give us the energy to commit to Jesus and to his call to work for peace and justice in our world.

No comments: