When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Some yokes don't seem so easy, some burdens don't seem light

I've been fighting (and losing the battle with) a really bad cold for about 3 weeks now. My patience is wearing thin and tomorrow's readings (especially the gospel) have encouraged me to "keep on keeping on" with writing this entry tonight.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009
The Glorious Mysteries

A few of us find these days less than “holidays” or even “holy days.” 2009 has been a tough year for many of us – illnesses, losses, sorrows, “the economy,” as well as wars and threats of wars. Perhaps even some folks who put on happy faces experience some deep, lingering sort of emotion like an exile, feeling on the outside of it all.

I think that is why the gospel invitation from Jesus is so poignant:
“Come to me all who are weary… Learn from me… Take my yoke… Find rest…”

Some read this passage and seem to think that Jesus is promising that things will go well and easily once you turn to Him. But that isn't at all what is meant here. Life will continue to be life; there will be hardships, difficulties, turmoil, and every sort of thing that arises from people interacting with people. There will be no respite from these things. Think of Our Lady! She was born without sin and remained without sin and still had to endure escaping to a strange land, losing her Child while on a pilgrimage, and ultimately watching His passion and death on a cross!

The most difficult thing for many people to do is trust in their faith again after disappointment or disillusionment. But, that is what Jesus invites us to do today. It’s what Mary did, and without question! And I think that’s the basic reality that Advent always invites us to face – can we trust after betrayal, after loss, or after diminishment?

In other words, how easy is it to trust God after exile or while we experience exile now? How easy is it to believe that we will rise up “on wings of eagles?”

If any of this addresses your experience at this time in life, at this time in the Church year, it may be just the right time to recall how such experiences might open for us a way of entering the world of refugees, of people facing famine and starvation, of people who make thirty-five cents an hour making clothing or shoes for some multi-national corporation in the third world. Perhaps our sense of exile might help us form a bond with others who also suffer. Pray for them and encourage them to pray for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good as usual!!!! Very lifting to me as I have been undergoing a series of bad, to me anyway, happenings! This is when it is so hard to trust on Him who knows us from the beginning. I got to thinking about how maybe I needed your shot "visit" last night calmed me down and even though it was midnight before I actually "hit the pillow", I did sleep well till about 5:00A.M. but was able to go on sleeping til around 8:30! And then to find my Rosary!!!! What a great beginning to my day today!!! You'll never know how much you "inspire" me!