When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Preparing to be sent

Whenever a new manager is placed or hired in one of the locations I have control over, it is my responsibility to train that individual. The way I usually (almost always—depending on circumstances) train them is to schedule the new manager for the same times I am working. This way, I can show him/her the correct or most efficient way to perform their new duties. I think it gives them confidence in their new job to know that I am close by in case something goes wrong. The more successful managers are those that listen and take the time to learn what I have to teach. They are usually the same managers who end up teaching me something new.

This method of training is not easy most of the time because of the diversity of the managers and their abilities to learn or their abilities to lead and manage others, but once they “get it”, it is a very gratifying experience for me. I tend to think of the managers I train as my “children” because we sometimes become quite close as a result of my training methods. When you spend 10 hours a day, six days a week, you really get to know one another. You learn to listen to, and respect one another’s opinions and by the end of the first week you’re not afraid to charitably disagree about differing styles of management and skills. It becomes a "give and take" that lets us both grow and leads the company to success.

When they are ready I "send them forth" into the battle that is known as Customer Service. Their success or failure is a reflection of how well I train them, so I always let them know I am just a phone call away for support. The more successful managers are those that remember to call on me when they get in tough situations, rather than trying to go it alone.


This reminds me of the gospel for Friday (and no, I'm not comparing my customers to "demons") lol:

“He appointed Twelve, whom he also named Apostles, that they might be with him and he might send them forth to preach and to have authority to drive out demons . . .”

As we get to know the men named by Jesus to be his Apostles, we are impressed by their diversity and perhaps surprised by their less-than-faithful performances. Peter’s denial, Thomas’ doubts, and Judas’ betrayal all remind us that the Lord did not choose perfect men without fault.

But in the brief line from Mark’s gospel quoted above, we are told of the common preparation that Jesus offered all of them before they were sent forth: Jesus called them “that they might be with him.” A period of apprenticeship preceded their missioning. It was necessary that they “be with” Jesus, watching him, listening to him, observing his way with people, before heading out on mission.

For us who desire to place our lives at the Lord’s service, this simple line from Mark’s gospel cautions us not to allow zeal for mission to pull us away from an attentive “being with” Jesus in prayer. We, too, need to “be with him” before going out to serve “in his name.”

We might ask ourselves today: how am I doing in that delicate balance between giving and receiving? Do I regularly listen in prayer? Do I take the time to “be with him” or do I too quickly run to do good in his name without waiting to learn how he wants me do serve him?

No comments: