When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The tragedy of Judas' life

As I sit here tonight thinking about Judas’ betrayal of Jesus, I can think of a lot of different reasons (although none are justified) why he did it. I think the most important conclusion I came to is that Judas’ perfidy was the result of failure to understand.

What kind of Messiah was Judas expecting? It would seem that the Messiah was not a spiritual figure for Judas but rather the concept that had evolved of a military, royal figure who would restore Israel to greatness among the nations. I imagine that Judas, as a close follower, pictured himself in high place in such a kingdom. Thus Jesus’ message of loving one’s enemies, concern for the poor and so forth was probably nonsense to Judas. His disillusionment then gave way to greed.

Judas also failed to understand Jesus on a far deeper level. His subsequent despairing end indicated his failure to understand the forgiveness of Jesus. The tragedy of Judas’ life was not that he betrayed Jesus but that he did not ask for forgiveness. Judas failed to realize that our God is a loving and forgiving God.

This leads me to wonder, what kind of savior am I looking for? One that will keep challenge and hardship out of my life or, hopefully, dispatch a miracle to resolve any such problems? Do I realize that the value of suffering consists in the lessons to be learned from it? I may not reject , but do I simply ignore those areas of the Christian message that appear too challenging? It’s something I need to work on.

I think I’ve learned today that Judas’ failure in understanding must not be mine. In my opinion, every person must ask the question: What kind of God do I pray to? The redemptive events of Holy Week supply the answer: Our God is a loving and forgiving God.

No comments: