When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Were You There?

As far as “regular” Masses go in the Catholic Church, I’ll bet today, Palm Sunday is the longest of the year. For me it’s also the most exhausting emotionally.

First, the priest blessed the palms that we waved as he entered the church, just like the early citizens of Jerusalem did when Jesus entered their city on the back of an ass. I never fail to feel the exhilaration of joy that comes with acknowledging the presence of the King who has been prophesied to set us free!

Then, almost immediately, I got to the verge of tears when the Passion of Christ is read. To further the sadness I was feeling, the music director chose “Were You There (When They Crucified My Lord?)” for the Communion song. I found myself staring at the Crucifix and saying to myself, “Yes, I was.” I couldn’t help thinking, “Although every Mass is a re-presentation of our Lord’s sacrifice on Calvary, this Mass makes me feel like I am there.” God help me, I felt angry toward those who betrayed Him, who told lies about Him, who ridiculed Him, and finally who killed Him. I felt anger towards Peter, who denied Him 3 times! Then I realized I was angry at myself, because I have denied Him in my own ways—when I “looked the other way” when I could have helped a neighbor, when I failed to stop idle gossip that was hurtful to another human being, or when I just “didn’t feel like” praying.

Now we enter Holy Week once again. But first, we spend a quiet moment in Bethany with Jesus at the house of His friends Martha, Mary, and Lazarus. Judas is there too.

As usual, Martha is active, preparing and serving. Mary, on the other hand, is at Jesus' feet where she performs a curious act, something seemingly opposed to what she usually does, that is, "to listen" of which Jesus says "is the best part and not to be taken from her."

Using costly nard, Mary anoints Jesus' feet and dries them with her hair. Seeing this, Judas is beside himself and as the room fills with the fragrance of the oil, he demands to know why this valuable nard wasn't sold and the proceeds used for the poor or maybe, he secretly thinks, to line his own pockets!

Jesus said to him, "Leave her alone . . . you do not always have me."

Mary's simple act of love shows us the best way to use our talents and wealth, what is exemplary, and above all, lasting - to sit at the feet of Jesus!

This week will end at Calvary with the darkness of our Lord's death and the silence of His tomb, but if like Mary we chose the best part, Easter will dawn. "It will not be taken from us."

No comments: