When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, March 14, 2010

You only live once

“You only live once!”

We’ve all heard that saying a thousand times. Most people say it because it gives them courage to do something they probably wouldn’t normally do. But I wonder how many know exactly how true the statement is?

At conception, life begins. That’s it. God our Father presents us with the gift of life and through His Son, Jesus Christ, we are promised that it is an eternal life. The only real question (actually it's more of a choice on our part) is whether we get to spend it in the presence of our Father in everlasting joy, or in never-ending misery.

As I’ve said before, when I was a child the thought of dying scared me so much I would force myself to fall asleep so I would have to think about it. And though I’m still not quite ready to leave this stage of my life, the more I learn to trust in the mercy of Jesus Christ, the less I worry about it.

I’m sure I’ll need His mercy, too! Because even though I try very hard to live the way He wants me to, I fall way too short! I don’t know why—after all, there are only 10 simple rules to follow! My problem is that some of His “rules” are too inconvenient or too harsh. Does He really expect me to forgive the guy who trespasses against me? He really means it when he says I have to take a back seat to and worse--serve-- someone who is obviously inferior to me? Oh well, maybe I’ll give it a try this Lent. After all, you only live once, right?

No comments: