When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Interpretations

It’s remarkable to me that every time I read something in the Bible, even the same passages over and over, the Holy Spirit shows me a different interpretation. But all of the interpretations work together! As I said, it’s remarkable. For instance, yesterday I was inspired to write one interpretation of the story of the travelers on the road to Emmaus. I was inspired after reading the passage. But now, this morning at Mass, instead of reading the gospel, I just listened. And a totally different, but complimentary interpretation came to me.

Listening to the passage, I became somewhat envious of the travelers! Can you imagine getting a “Bible study” from Jesus Christ personally; then, when the “lesson” was over, to “break bread” and give thanks to our Savior for His sacrifice? That’s when it hit me. That’s the Mass! God is awesome.

No comments: