When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lots of anniversaries and opportunities for prayer

I’m so sorry I haven’t been posting every day this week. Or for the last 3 weeks for that matter! It’s been one thing after another, and to be frank with all of you, a little overwhelming both physically and mentally! While I pray for everyone I love every day, I have to confess I’ve been a little selfish with my prayers in asking our Blessed Mother to help ME endure this comparably (very) little bit of suffering I’ve been blessed with!

I really didn’t feel like writing a blog tonight either, but I couldn’t let the day go by without remembering that today is Ascension Thursday. When I was a kid, it was a Holy Day of Obligation. It still is, in some dioceses around the world. In California’s parishes though (and many others in the US), the Feast has been moved to this coming Sunday.

Today is the 93rd anniversary of the first apparition of Our Lady to the three shepherd girls from Fatima. The revelations of Mary to them were given to remind all of us that Jesus is full of mercy and ready to help us change our lives if only we try.

Today also is the 29th anniversary of Pope John Paul II’s assassination attempt. He already had a strong devotion to Mary but after his injury from the gun shots he stated that it was through Our Lady of Fatima’s intercession that he recovered.

Just as Jesus warned the apostles of their lack of faith but then gave them the grace of conversion, so also Pope John Paul II showed the watching world that forgiving others must be part of our Christian living.

So I would ask that everyone reading this remember to say an extra rosary, or even just an extra decade for reparation for the sins of the world and a conversion of hearts to Jesus’ message through His Mother.

No comments: