When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, June 7, 2010

And a little child shall lead them.....

My granddaughter Lily is a great teacher, but she doesn’t know it! Lately I have been struggling to make sense of the world’s seeming lack of morals and decency, and I must admit that it sometimes scares me that Lily will be growing up in an age that will test the resolve of even the most faithful follower of Jesus Christ.

Lily has taught me that it is TRUST in Our Lord’s love for us that will get us through. Of course, she didn’t tell me this in so many words, but by her example. Let me explain. As she is learning to walk (she’s really good at it now, by the way) she is becoming more and more independent of the grownups around her. But every once in a while, she stumbles or comes to an obstacle that she feels is a little too large to navigate alone.

This has happened several times while I was watching her, and she didn’t whimper or whine or get upset. She merely looked me in the eye and, without saying a word, she held out one hand for me to hold on to and help her get up by herself or to get around that obstacle. The absolute trust she has in my love for her that she shows by this action sends me to the brink of tears every time she holds out her hands like that.

It also reminds me that as long as we trust in God’s love for us, we know we’ll be alright.

No comments: