When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Peter Principle--My version

Thursday’s scripture readings are an interesting contrast showing God’s love and power and how we often do not trust in God’s love and power. In Jeremiah, God promises a new covenant with Israel. No longer will they have a need to teach their friends and relatives how to know the Lord. “I will forgive their evil doing and remember their sin no more.” The psalmist proclaims a heart contrite and humbled, “O God, you will not spurn.” And in Matthew, Peter, in response to Jesus’ question of who do you say I am, proclaims Jesus as the Christ.


Peter is just so human. Peter boldly proclaims to Jesus, “you are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” And then when Jesus says he is headed to Jerusalem to be killed, Peter takes him aside and boldly proclaims, that is a horrible plan, I can come up with a better plan than that. Imagine, telling God you have a better plan. Good thing I never do that.

I have family members and friends who have drifted from their faith in Jesus and His Church by the trappings and seductions of the secular world. Or maybe they never had it. I have tried logical arguments, and I’ve tried pulling their “guilt strings”. I try to set an example by my practice of my faith. But even if my example or guilt trips or arguments seem to show promise, I know that no one has ever been argued into a relationship with God. When someone establishes a walk with Christ, it isn’t my doing, it is the awesome power of God’s grace. I know that, too. So, why am I plotting out my arguments, guilt trips and ways to set an example? It may come down to control and trust. I want to be in control and I’m not sure I can trust God. Which is strange. I know that I am at my best as Christ’s ambassador when I simply pray and open myself up to the Holy Spirit. When I submit fully to God’s hand is when things seem to work out best. So, if that is my experience, why is control and trust such an issue? Why don’t I fully entrust myself into God’s hands? Why do I think I have to fix this or I have to do this on my own? I wish I knew. I’m an imperfect creation on a walk with my creator. And I don’t always seem to be able to follow the path He has laid out before me. Good thing we worship a loving, forgiving God.

My prayer today is for all of us who don’t seem to be able to relinquish control and simply trust the God who loves us.

No comments: