When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, September 24, 2010

Blog Lite

Blog? Or Blog Lite? I had the opportunity to drive from Fresno to Bakersfield and back earlier today and that allowed me to listen to a lot of radio programs that were focused on everything from the Rosary with Father Corapi, pro-life concerns and St. Terese of Liseux or Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman to current movie reviews from a catholic perspective.

During every program I thought, “THAT would be a good topic for my blog tonight!” But when I actually sat down to write, there were so many ideas floating around in my head that what I wrote was, in the end, either very heavy reading or incoherent babble.


So like you see in some movies where an author doesn’t like what he has written, I figuratively crumbled up my musings and tossed them in the can! What I actually did, however, was hit the delete key on my computer. Ah, technology! I didn’t even have to pretend to try and “score” a basket when I “tossed” my wad of paper towards the trashcan.


I continued to think about making an entry while watching the local Catholic channel. It’s not EWTN, although they have some EWTN programming. I was getting bored with Marcus Grodi interviewing someone from Sweden (why do most Europeans sound to those of us on “this side of the pond” so dry and monotone?), so I turned to something else until Father Corapi came on. His presentation was on ‘Beauty and Truth.” Still, the material was much too heavy for me to write about today. I made the decision I want to keep the mood and content “Lite”.


The Holy Spirit can really have a sense of humor when He wants to. All I said was, “Please, Lord, let me find something to write about that won’t tax my brain tonight!” The next program on the channel I was watching was called “Going My Way”. It has a singing priest and another one playing the piano and they sing songs from the 30’s and 40’s and joke around with one another and their “guest priest”. I was laughing so hard at the campiness of it all I almost couldn’t catch my breath! If that wasn’t enough, the next program was a Catholic game show called “Divine Intervention”, hosted by a Monsignor, no less! It was even more hilarious, (but at the same time educationally entertaining) than “Going My Way”.


Both programs should be required watching for those who think priests are all stuffy, no-nonsense, humorless individuals. I certainly know my share of priests who convey both holiness and humor. In fact, I heard someone say one time that you'll find that most of the saints, if you study them long enough, had great senses of humor!

No comments: