When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, September 3, 2010

Freedom through mercy

Recorded talks by Father John Corapi are on the radio most mornings at 9:00 A.M. and, since I am quite often on the road at the same time, I have heard the same programs over and over and over again. And yet every time I listen to him, I hear something else that touches me in a way I haven’t been touched before, something that really puts me in touch with the Holy Spirit and His gifts. I guess that’s what makes a great preacher or homilist—the ability to speak to the soul of his listeners.



Many times I use the programs I hear on the TV or radio or the readings of the day to give me an idea to write about on my blog. I got my inspiration for today’s entry from a story Father Corapi told on his program this morning.


He related how, on the day after his ordination by Pope John Paul II, he heard a whisper from the shadows, then a request from a gentleman asking if Father Corapi would hear his confession. After agreeing, the stranger began, “Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. It’s been 35 years since my last confession.” After hearing the man’s litany of sins, Father gave him absolution through the power of Christ and, as Father Corapi puts it, he “could hear the chains of Satan’s oppression fall from the man and rattle on the ground.”


It’s impossible for me to convey the emotions and inflections in Father Corapi’s voice as he told the story, but I have to confess I started bawling my eyes out! Here I am driving down Highway 99, and I can’t see through the tears! Why? I didn’t know this guy! I’ve heard the story at least 20 times and never cried before! Why now?


I thought about it all day. I couldn’t stop thinking about my reaction. Then, at about 10:00 tonight, it hit me! As I see it, the reasons for the tears were two-fold: tears of overwhelming joy followed by tears of regret. The tears of joy were because of Christ’s great mercy available to all through the Sacrament of Reconciliation, a mercy that I've experienced personally. The tears of regret were for all of those who don’t realize or appreciate His loving mercy and so don’t take advantage of the Sacrament--again, a feeling I've experienced personally.


I don’t read the newspapers much anymore except the comics (hey, some are still pretty funny without being dirty) the op-ed page and the letters to the editor. On August 24, there was a pretty disgusting editorial cartoon along with an opinion article lamenting how “everyone” (even his own party, now) is finding something to complain about in regards to the President of the United States. This morning there was the following letter:


“Your Aug. 24 cartoon that appeared with the Clarence Page column depicting President Barack Obama as Christ crucified is the consummate sacrilege. You owe every Christian among your readership an apology.


Were you to run such an outrage demeaning a figure sacred to Islam, your editorial board would do well to fear for their lives. In this case, no worries. He forgives you, for you know not what you do.”


There you go. Christ’s forgiveness in a nutshell.

No comments: