When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, October 11, 2010

Indescribable

On Tuesday, October 12, Marilyn and I will “celebrate” our 36th anniversary. Of course, she is at home and I am in a hotel room about 150 miles away. But that doesn’t mean we can’t still celebrate. I am having some flowers delivered to her workplace and I will attend Mass in the morning and offer it up for her. I’ll take her to dinner when I get home on the weekend. Nothing extravagant, but that’s how we are. I know it’s cliché, but I really don’t know what I would do without her.

I’ve been thinking all day about her and about what keeps our love for each other so strong. I think it’s because we’ve never had to “work” at our love. It just exists. You hear stories of people who say, “Our love grows every day”, or “We work hard to keep our love this strong.” I guess God has blessed us, because my love for Marilyn is just as strong today as it was when I proposed to her, and it’s never been an effort for me to be in love or to stay in love with her.


I tried to “google” the word “love” for an inspiring quote about love and there are 330 million entries! I found one particular site that lists over 2000 quotes from some famous (and not so famous) people about what love is. It was evident that many of them never truly experienced love. They all described “feelings” and “emotions” and “romance”. Love certainly contains those things. But true love is indescribable. It goes beyond romance and feelings and emotions. It must be lived. You don’t think about it, you just do it. This indescribable love is the love I have for my wife.


I love you, Marilyn. I have always loved you. I will always love you.

Oh, and I hope you don’t read this until after the flowers arrive. I don’t want to spoil the surprise!

No comments: