When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

His name is JOHN

When I woke up this morning, I was not feeling very well.  But I'm in Bakersfield, and I didn't want to waste the company's time, so I worked until about 2pm. Then I drove to Simi Valley this afternoon to take Mom some of her mail and some other things she asked me for.  As I was leaving there, Mom mentioned that she thought I was feeling "warm" and asked if I had a fever.  I told her I might, but I didn't think so.  When I got back to Bakersfield this evening, I was still not feeling well.  To satisfy my curiosity, I took my temperature.  It's 101 degrees.  I'm going to take it in stride, though.  In the past I would just "hole up" and feel miserable.  I think because of all of the reflections I've been writing this Advent, I have so much joy in anticipation of Christmas that I'm just not going to let it get me down.  In fact, I was making up a song on my way home to the hotel after getting the thermometer.  It was "I'll be sick for Christmas".  Sung to the tune of "I'll Be Home for Christmas".  I guess you had to be there.  lol.  But it's a good thing I will be going home tomorrow afternoon and have Friday off to recover before the actual Holy Day. 

I also had plenty of time on the drive back to Bakersfield to meditate on tomorrows readings.  It's short, because I think it's best if I get to bed early tonight:

Malachi speaks about how God will send a messenger to prepare the way before Him. This messenger is John the Baptist, who was to prepare us for the coming of Jesus. Just as John the Baptist was to prepare the way of the Lord, we are called to prepare for the coming of Jesus at Christmas. We must prepare ourselves in all we do so that God does not “come and strike the land with doom.” Today, it means to me that we mustn’t forget the true meaning of Christmas: the coming of Christ. We can’t get caught up with making humongous wish lists for presents. We need to examine the way we live our lives and ask ourselves: Is this how I want to celebrate the coming of Jesus Christ? Our focus needs to be on opening ourselves up to God during this season, rather than on opening presents.

Luke speaks of the naming ceremony for John the Baptist, born to Elizabeth and Zechariah. Previously, Zechariah believed it not to be possible for Elizabeth to be gifted with pregnancy due to her age, doubting God’s power for such a miracle; he was muted for such disbelief. But as Elizabeth was trying to name the baby John, a name not part of the family, Zechariah agreed (to everyone’s disbelief). As Zechariah allowed God to work through him, God was pleased and granted Zechariah the ability to speak again. We all need to do what Zechariah did and allow God to work through us.

As we reflect on the coming birth of Jesus, may we each be prophets of the Word of God both by mouth and action. May each of us allow God to work in our lives and listen to His call. May we become messengers and prophets to those around us. As this Advent season draws to a close, may we not forget the purpose of the Christmas season.

No comments: