When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, December 16, 2010

MORE

In the readings for Friday we see the genealogy of Jesus. Jesus was not with us just for a particular moment in history! He is the Messiah longed for all through the ages. God sent many people to prepare the path for Jesus and their presence gave Jesus to the world.

Advent, especially, is the time of year we should ask ourselves, “How am I working to make Jesus present to the world around me?” As Saint Francis of Assisi is quoted, “Preach the Gospel always. When necessary, use words.” I find myself asking, “Do people in my workplace know my faith by the way I act?” Am I impatient with others? I need to have more patience to make Jesus present. Do I judge others without knowing the full story? I need to have more openness. Do I sometimes forget to treat people the way I should, the way I want to be treated? I need to have more love. I need to strive for “More”. When we have more patience, more openness, more love, we proclaim our Savior’s incarnation and make Jesus present to the world around us.

During this and every Advent season we are all called to look at how we are creating a path for Jesus in our world. We are called to question whether or not our actions bring Jesus’ presence in our community. We are called to “More”. More love. More kindness. More faith. More penance. More sacrifice. More prayer.

No comments: