When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, December 23, 2010

On-the-road evangelizing

As has happened so often before, I was driving 3 other guys to Modesto from Fresno on a truck transfer (we needed trucks in Fresno and Modesto had more than they need).  About 1/2 way there, one of the guys in the back seat noticed my rosary on the rear-view mirror and said, "I see that cross on your mirror.  Maybe you can answer a question for me."  I said I could try.  He asked me if I had read the Bible.  I said yes.  He asked me if I could quote Genesis 1:1.  I started out, "In the beginning was God...." He cut me off and asked if on the first day God created the heavens and the Earth, or Heaven and the Earth.  Before I could answer THAT question, he said he was searching for answers and wanted to know if that is when God created Hell, as well.  I

explained that God didn't create Hell--Hell exists because of the sins we commit.  I told him that Hell is essentially a separation from God for all eternity.  I gave him an example of what it would feel like, in my opinion.  I told him it was like loving someone else so bad all you can think of is that person, but at the same time realizing that you will never ever be with the one you love.  He was trying to wrap his mind around eternal flames and pain.  I explained that no matter how hard any of us try, we don't have any concept of them, just as we can't fully understand the joys and glory in Heaven--"That eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither has it entered into the heart of man, what things God has prepared for them that love Him." (1 Cor 2:9)

He left that topic for a while.  He then said what he really wanted to know was "Who created God?"  I told him that no one created God.  God is the Great "I AM".  The Alpha and the Omega.  The Beginning and the End.  As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be.  He couldn't seem to understand that.  I tried to explain it this way: We humans have a finite mind.  God is infinite.  He does not live in "time".  He lives in an "eternal now".  He sees everything that has happened, is happening and will happen all at once.  My passenger seemed to understand. 

One of the other guys in the back seat asked me about statues in our cathedrals and churches.  I asked him if he carried a picture of his children around with him--he said, "Yes, on my phone!" (Ah, the brave new world).  I asked him what he thought about when he looked at the pictures.  His reply was how much he loved them and wanted to be with them.  I told him it's the same thing with us Catholics and our statues--they remind us of those who have figured out the way to Heaven, and we look to them to show us the way.

The first guy had some other questions, but I'm not very good at pop quizzes, so I said, "Hey, if you're really interested in what I believe and in the Truth, read the Catechism of the Catholic Church.  I think you'll find the answers to all your questions there."  Then I said, "If you want to know my personal observations on what I believe and how I try to apply them to my life every day, maybe you'd like to read my blog."  Both he and the other guy wrote the address down and seemed very interested.  I'm hoping they read this blog tomorrow and recognize themselves.  If you guys are reading this, Merry Christmas and God Bless you in the new year.  I know we talked about other things, but I'm trying to keep this entry relatively short.  If you have specific questions that I may be able to help you with (one at a time though, please) you know how to find me. 

After I dropped the guys off, I went home and read the readings for tomorrow.  The Spirit sure moves in funny ways!

 In today's gospel, we hear Zechariah refer to the oft-prayed verse from Psalm 72:18, "Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, who alone does wonderful things." In Psalm 41:14 we read, "Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, from eternity to eternity." In 1 Chronicles 16:36, we read the same again, "Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, from eternity to eternity."


This litany throughout time invokes God's eternal nature - no beginning, no end. And though Jesus had a human beginning as a baby in the arms of His mother, when Zechariah speaks these words, we are reminded of at least two things: this is a wonder God has wrought and it is God Himself Who is the wonder AND Eternity, the All in All, Who has consented to become one of those whom He loves to bring them home to His love.

There is, sometimes, a tendency to sentimentalize the Babe in His mother's arms. But at the same time, when we place the Christ Child in His manger this evening, we should recall that this was the moment that Eternity touched us and we learned, truly learned, what love meant. This child would go through many changes and suffer much for us - but this truly is the beginning of knowledge and of our salvation - more than two thousand years ago, the moment stays with us as we participate in it year after year.

I really had no idea that my conversation earlier in the evening with my passengers would be reiterated later to me as I read these Scripture passages.  God truly is with us every day, not just at Christmas.
 
While I was on my "evangelization tour", the family went to a local farm that sets up christmas lights and lets people drive through the farm for a fee.  It's really quite spectacular, and it gets bigger every year!  When I looked at this picture, I thought, "Wow!  Gloria in Excelcis Deo!"

No comments: