When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Flowers for "Papa"

For several weeks (at least since before Christmas!) I have been carrying around in my car some artificial flowers that my mother-in-law asked me to place on my father-in-law's (Papa) grave.  The task fell to me because I've been going back and forth to Bakersfield quite a bit and when I travel along I-5 I go right past the cemetery where he is buried.  Also because Patty (my MIL) is not able to travel as far or as frequently as she used to and she knows I visit Papa's grave pretty often to pray for him and my uncle and a church friend who are all buried there. 

Mission accomplished!  By the Grace of the Holy Spirit, that is!  I had planned to leave Bakersfield for home earlier today, but one thing led to another and I didn't get out of there until the afternoon.  I thought I might still make it before the cemetery closed at 5pm, but it was going to be close.  And I was driving a large truck while towing my van behind me--not very good if I had to maneuver in tight spaces or worse, make a u-turn on a narrow road! 

I had not reached Santa Nella (my exit) by 5pm and the sun was setting fast.  I was still 10 minutes away.  I said out loud, "Oh well, I guess it will have to wait AGAIN!"  I immediately heard that "inner voice" say, "You should go anyway.  Ask the Holy Spirit to keep the gates open a little while longer or at least give you a place to turn around if that's not possible."

So I said a prayer to Jesus through the Holy Spirit saying, "Jesus, I trust in You.  I believe You want me to visit Papa, say some prayers for him and leave these flowers for Patty.  But if not, I'll understand.  But I'd really like to do this!"  In hindsight, it sounds like a small child asking his father for a favor.  And like any loving Father, He listened and made a decision.

At 5:15 I headed down the narrow road toward the gate.  As I approached, I noticed the sign that said "Cemetery Hours--8am to 5pm"  and "Gates will open and close automatically".  Just beyond that sign, I saw that the gate was still open!  As I drove through, I thanked Jesus for understanding my wishes and went directly to Papa's grave and left the flowers.  I said a quick prayer for him and for all who are buried there, especially my uncle Lawrence and friend Joe McDonald.  I saw no one else around any of the grave sites, nor did I see any maintenance vehicles or evidence that anyone was on the property. But I didn't want to press my "luck" (even though I believe it was Holy Spirit looking out for me) and get stuck inside the cemetery, so I left for home. 

I have been to the cemetery before right at closing and the gates do close by themselves right on the dot.  I think they're on a timer.  Maybe the timer was broken, and maybe not.  In any event, I felt I had to write of this experience today and thank my Lord one more time for His hand in this.

No comments: