When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, January 14, 2011

The wisdom of the Church

At the beginning of this year of grace, the Letter to the Hebrews gives exhortations and practical instructions on living the Christian life. For Jesus, the High Priest, who has been "tested in every way through what He suffered, is able to help those who are being tested" (Hebrews 2:18).

How grateful I am to be tested. I go to the foot of the Cross, the place of His greatest test and manifestation of glory, the place of the Priest, the Altar and the Lamb of Sacrifice. And there, I gaze up and see Him, the Word of God. Our blessed Lord Jesus, the Word of God, described by John as the One through Whom all were made, is "living and effective, sharper than any two-edge sword."

I gaze up with no fear, but bearing shame, for He knows the account I must give. "Everything is naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to Whom we must render an account." Only with humility as my guide, can I tell the truth and then He can minister His mercy and healing compassion. What parent does not know that correction best follows confession by the child?

What joy there is in knowing that "we have a great high priest Who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God." We realize that the Word of God is first and foremost Jesus, the Word made flesh, the Emmanuel. Our vision and hearts of love are lifted up to Him on His throne, which we see as the Cross. So, sinner, "let us confidently approach the throne of grace to receive mercy and to find grace for timely help."

He is right here to help, right now. Call on Him.

THE At The Foot Of The Cross PRAYER

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

I will go to the altar of God.
To God who gives joy to my youth.
Judge me, O God,
and take up my cause against the nation that is not holy.
Free me from the unjust and deceitful man.
For You, O God, are my strength,
why have You cast me off?
And why do I walk in sorrow,
while the enemy troubles me?
Send forth Your light and Your truth,
they have led me,
and brought me to Your holy hill,
and to Your dwelling.
I will go to the altar of God,
to God who gives joy to my youth.
To You, O God, my God,
I will give praise upon the harp,
why are you sad, O my soul?
And why do you trouble me?
Hope in God, for I will still praise Him,
the salvation of my countenance and my God.

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.



Amen.

No comments: