When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Where did I go?

Has it been 4 days since I last posted?  Seems like yesterday!  I guess I'm just not used to the "free time" I've had this week, after the last 12 weeks away from home (essentially)!  I got myself out of "whack" by actually spending a few nights at home with Marilyn, Alicia and Lily.  I'll just 'hit the highlights' of these past few days, then post my Stations of the Cross that I promised for Lent.

We finally promoted someone to run the Bakersfield center, and while I will still make a trip down at least once a week to continue his training, at least I won't be "living" there.  On my way home Saturday, I drove by the newest parish in the diocese in Modesto--one that I had not visited yet on my pilgrimage.  It is Holy Family parish.  I had driven by, but never gone in to the parking lot or the church because I just didn't have the time.  But this time I thought, "Hey, it's Lent!  Go in and say 'Thanks' to Jesus!"  When I went to the front door though, it was locked.  A sign said to go to the office if I wanted to go in.  As I was searching for the office, I noticed 'signposts' in no apparent order out in a huge field adjacent to the church.  The closer I got, I realized that there was also a path.  It was the Stations of the Cross in an outdoor setting!  I had never seen that before. It was pretty cool.  I grabbed my camera and took a couple of pictures, then started the prayers.  It was actually a pretty good walk and made meditation on the Stations easier for some reason.  The pictures weren't very good, so I won't post them.  When I told Mom about it, she said St. Annes is thinking about, or has discussed in the past doing something similar.  I think I'll ask Father Brandon about it when I see him Sunday.

As far as work goes, since my area was basically cut in 1/2 geographically, it's a lot less stressful, once I get the initial drive to Fresno out of the way.  I've been able to spend more time in prayer and reflection, but I get so involved in that that I forget to post on my blog.  I'm sitting here looking at my surroundings and it couldn't be more conducive to prayer if I tried.  Although the company apartment is two bedrooms, I am obviously just staying in one.  I have no furniture except a TV tray to put my computer on, an inflatable twin bed, a sheet, a blanket and a microwave. And of course my computer.  I remember seeing a movie once that showed how monks and other religious lived in their "cells".  I think I know what it feels like now.  I was just thinking I will need to get a small crucifix to hang on the wall.  I bought some CDs of Gregorian Chants to listen to when I get tired of watching the live stream of EWTN on my computer.  Then I'll be set.

I went to dinner at a buffet-style restaurant tonight (as soon as I get the company refrigerator over to my apartment I can start cooking my own meals).   I crossed myself and said grace.  Whenever I do this, it amazes me how many stares I get.  I decided that for Lent, I will make a special effort to show my faith in public places with simple signs of my belief like this.  It can be quite powerful. 

You know what?  When I started this post, I said I would continue with my presentation of the Stations.  But I am so tired all of a sudden that I think I'll just turn in.  Back to my regular reflections and posts tomorrow.  Good night.

No comments: