When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Free "oil" for your "lamp"!

Prayer for the Day
Dear Lord, thank you for stirring our desires for the oil of awareness, the oil of gratitude, the oil of being placed with you in all things.
Keep our torches burning brightly so that we might not miss your coming, your presence, your invitation each and every day.

Reflection

Saint Paul tells the Thessalonians to “conduct yourselves to please God”, and, “not to take advantage of or exploit a brother or sister”. (I Thessalonians 4:1-8)   The Psalms states, “The heavens proclaim his justice.” (Psalms 97:1, 2, 5-6, 10, 11-12)  And in Matthew, Christ tells the parable of the ten virgins.  Five are prepared and five are not ready for the arrival of the bridegroom.  Jesus warns us, “...stay awake, for you know neither the day nor the hour.” (Matthew 25:1-13)

All over the world, the economy is in the toilet and people are worried about what the future holds (me included).  In my opinion, this economic collapse is due to greed, plain and simple.  Material greed, political greed; you name the greed, and humanity suffers from it.  Yeah, fix the economy, but don’t you dare touch my stuff!  Christ’s model of generosity and humility seems to be lost.  Making money is a good thing, but it sure shouldn’t be the end goal.  

To try to be like Jesus is a life-long task.  It isn’t something that just all of a sudden happens.  It starts with a relationship with Christ.  And then it requires work—lots of work.  It’s kind of like preparing for a race.  As my wife and kids will tell you, you can’t just show up after eating a banana split and run 5 miles.  You have to work and train.  You have to be prepared.

All religious experience is prepared for.  How do we prepare?  We need to go out and buy the oil that will keep the lamps burning as we await the Bridegroom.

What then is this oil? It’s compassion, kindness, thoughtfulness, prayer, good works that support those around us, a focus on the eternal while working in the present to help those around us. The oil is supplied by God in abundance and we need do nothing other than be willing to accept it. This oil will keep our light burning out strong in a world that is progressively darker. We can await the Bridegroom and light the world with the light that God gives us. All we need to be is willing and ready.

One grace builds upon another.  When I take a deep breath and turn to God in my heart, even momentarily, the choices I make have more potential for being grace filled.  When I reflect upon the depths of the mystery of the suffering, death and resurrection of Jesus, the mystery of death is not frightening but freeing.  When I beg (every day) for the grace to love my spouse, my children, my parents, my friends, and my colleagues more selflessly, all kinds of new graces flow forth.  When I consciously gather the struggles, conflicts, joys and desires of my week, they prepare for a Sunday celebration so much fuller than just "walking in cold, to fulfill my obligation."  When I open my hands and ask for a growing desire to be servant, to hear the cry of the poor, to let my life reflect the coming of God's reign, then God will provide plenty of oil for a torch that is Light itself.

I was messing around on the ‘net this evening and came across this web site.  I’ve been alive well over 21,000 days (and still counting, thank God!).  And I have never had a day where I wanted for food, clothing or shelter.  And yet I worry about my retirement.  Why is that?  Why am I not more trusting of God?  Why don’t I conduct myself to please God?  Why am I not out buying more oil?  After all, it’s free!

No comments: