When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

On prayer

Prayer for the Day

O Jesus, help me to obey You, even when Your command may not seem logical to my human understanding, especially when my own poor efforts have failed to produce results.

Amen.



Reflection

“Prayer is the raising of one’s mind and heart to God …humility is the foundation of prayer.  Only when we humbly acknowledge that ‘we do not know how to pray as we ought,’ are we ready to receive freely the gift of prayer” (Catechism of the Catholic Church #2559).  Prayer is a loving gift from God to us, His beloved.  Prayer is the manifestation of a relationship.  Prayer is what God does for me.  God initiates and I respond.  God loved me first and from all time.  God wants to love me more and more.  He wants to give to me.
Paul, when speaking to the Colossians, referred to their faith as the reason for his praying for them.  Paul says that he is praying that God will gift the Colossians into a rich and personal relationship.  The result of this prayerful relationship will be “knowledge and spiritual insight….You will multiply good works of every sort and grow in the knowledge of God.  By the might of his glory you will be endowed with the strength needed to stand fast, even to endure joyfully whatever may come….”(Colossians 1:9-14)  We recognize here the gifts of the Holy Spirit – knowledge, patience, and peace. 

In the Gospel according to Luke, Jesus demonstrates that we cannot succeed alone, and that obedience to His command is the key. (Luke 5:1-11) In spite of having worked hard all night with nothing to show for it, Peter, nonetheless, tells Jesus, "At your command I will lower the nets." As soon as he does, bingo! Peter hits the jackpot and hauls in more fish than his boat can hold! He is overwhelmed, recognizes a huge miracle, and fear from a realization of his sins grips him in the presence of God. But Jesus tells him, "Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men."

The gospel goes on to tell us, "When they brought their boats to the shore, they left everything and followed him." I find it a bit humorous, imagining those hundreds of wet, floppy fish glistening in sun; abandoned by the men who hauled them in. But in another way, I find it quite sad.  This was the “family business” after all, and this catch would have gone a long way to helping support their families.  Looking at the bigger picture though, they were going after "bigger fish," and following Jesus, ready to learn to "catch men," as He promised.
In the end, it's not about the fish. It's about Jesus.

Prayer is not something I do alone and for myself.  Prayer is a state of being ready and predisposed and eager and longing for the Lord to draw me closer and more deeply into a personal relationship with the Lord.  This relationship can only end in a more fulfilling and satisfying love of God, a deeper richer knowledge of the Lord, an outpouring of love and service to others, and a deep sense of peace. As with Peter, Jesus knows my sin and brokenness.  Jesus wants me to know His gentle healing love.  This is the gift of the Lord.  It is not something I can earn.  What I can do is sit quietly and be ready, for He will come.  The good news is that He loves me too much to keep His distance!

No comments: