When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, August 18, 2011

The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments

Prayer for the Day

O God, help us choose those values which will unite this world's people. Make us of one mind and heart to end our conflicts and bring us true peace and joy.   Amen.


Reflection

A few days ago I was not in a very good mood.  Nothing has gone well at work this week as far as the plans I had made and I was getting frustrated.   As I was coming out of Hometown Buffet after dinner, I noticed a young man (probably in his mid-20’s) coming straight at me.  “Uh-oh”, I thought, “here it comes!”  My standard line for avoiding pan-handlers is “I’m so sorry, but I don’t carry cash on me, ever since I was robbed at gunpoint.”  It’s a true statement, but in today’s society one doesn’t really have to carry cash to get just about anything one needs.  There are a few holdouts who charge exorbitant fees for credit cards or who are cash only establishments, but generally, just about everybody takes credit or debit cards, so my excuse to those in need is more self-serving than Christian. 

That being said, this guy walked up and asked for a few dollars to get something to eat.  I thought to myself, “Why not? I’ll pay for his dinner then leave.  It’s only about 10 bucks.  Maybe he won’t bother anyone else if I help him.”  Again, that was a self-serving excuse to talk myself into doing something I ought to do.  So I turned around and opened the door for him saying, “After you, sir.”  He thanked me and we walked up to the counter to pay for his meal. 

The girl behind the counter smiled at me (she was the same girl who had rung my dinner up earlier), excused herself, and got on the intercom to call the manager.  When the manager arrived, he didn’t greet me but gave me the once-over and said to my guest, “I told you you’re not allowed in here! Please leave!”  Then the manager, without even acknowledging me went back to wherever he was when he was called.

The girl then turned to me and said, “I’m sorry, but he was caught in her just a little while ago trying to steal some food.”  I was very tempted to point out that the reason he was stealing food was probably because he was hungry and broke, but I didn’t.  I don’t know why I didn’t stick up for the guy (Yes I do.  It’s because I was embarrassed at that point.)   Jesus would have told a parable or something to make it a teaching moment for the manager.  All I did was turn around as he was leaving and said, “Is there somewhere else in this shopping center where we can get you a meal?”

He smiled and said he didn’t know.  So I perused the shopping center quickly and saw a couple of restaurant-looking businesses on the opposite corner from where we were.  I asked him if he would mind if I bought him a dinner at one of those places.  Obviously, he never heard the expression “beggars can’t be choosers”.  He said, “I was hoping for a Mexican meal.”  I replied that we might get lucky, but I was a little pressed for time, so it would have to be whatever we found.  I started walking towards the restaurants.  He asked me, “You want to walk over there?”  I may have felt generous, but not stupid.  Giving a car ride to a total stranger who you know has recently tried to steal and might have the smell of alcohol on his breath is not a prudent decision.  I said, “Yeah.  I need to walk off my dinner.”  He replied that he understood, although I could tell that he didn’t. 

He asked my name.  I told him my first name.  He introduced himself, but I can’t remember it.  He touched my shoulder and said something about giving me positive energy or something and asking me if I felt it.  I wondered if I had bitten off more than I could chew with this “dinner guest.”  Pun intended. 

He asked if I was religious.  I replied that I am Catholic.  He grew silent for a few minutes until we got into the restaurant.  I don’t remember which one it was, but it was a chain fast-food joint.  I didn’t recognize the menu, so I must not eat there a lot.  He asked the clerk if they had any Mexican food.  “Nope, just hamburgers and chicken sandwiches, French fries and drinks,” came the reply.  He asked me what he should order.  I told him he could get whatever he wanted.  He said, “You’re the only person who has talked to me like a human being or helped me in a long time, and you didn’t hesitate to use your credit card.”  He pulled out an obviously used VCR tape and said he would like to give it to me.  I thanked him and said, “I’m just glad I could help”.  He ordered a value meal of some sort, and I paid for it with my credit card.  He asked me if I had a business card with my name and phone number on it.  I decided to give him one of my homemade “business cards” that has only my blog address on it.  He said he would check it out.  I told him good-bye and left for home.   For some reason I couldn’t put my finger on, I felt much less frustrated and angry than I was when I went to dinner.

I really didn’t think much about the episode again until I read the Gospel passage for Friday this week (Mt 22:34-40).

What is the greatest commandment of the Lord? Love God with all that you are. And love your neighbor as you love yourself. Jesus goes so far as to say that the whole of the law is summed up in these two laws. Between the two, everything is encompassed - soul, mind, spirit.

But what we often forget is that Jesus has commanded us to love our neighbors as ourselves. That is, we are commanded to love ourselves. Not to worship ourselves, but to love ourselves - being kind to ourselves, being aware of our strengths and weaknesses - asking the Lord for the opportunity to use the former and praying for help in places where we are weak.

Loving ourselves is often difficult because we don't feel loveable. But God loves each one of us as if we were the only person on Earth. We are loved as an only child is loved, and it is that love that we are supposed to bring into the world and express to all our brothers and sisters. But we must first feel it for ourselves or we cannot help others to feel it.

Love God with everything you are, and everything follows from that. When we love God, we can look upon ourselves as special creatures that God loves deeply and completely. In that light, we become capable of loving others as God would have us do.

“You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”  THAT’S why I felt better after helping a complete stranger to have something to eat.  In retrospect, I think Jesus was “rewarding” my actions by taking a little bit of the stress from me.  Praise be to God; in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen

No comments: