When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, September 25, 2011

"A wise man changes his mind sometimes; a fool, never!"

Prayer for the Day

“O Lord, remember the word  you spoke to me, your servant, which made me live in hope and consoled me when I was downcast.”  (Ps. 119, 49-50)

Reflection

Sorry about no posts Friday or Saturday night—I was experiencing a bit of lethargy.  I thought tonight might be another night to just let it go, but the readings at Mass were powerful for me today; almost as though they were “Spiritual Wheaties”.  And, since I had a rather long drive from home to Fresno (a full stomach makes me sleepy, and a ride seem longer), I had plenty of time to meditate on them.

Several well-known sayings were going through my mind as I listened to the readings today; “Better late than never!”  “You’re just paying “lip service”.”  “You can talk the talk, but you don’t walk the walk.”  
In all three readings (and the Psalm) God is giving us advice on when to change our minds, and when not to. If we're pretty well secure in habits of virtue, then it's not a good idea to give in to the persuasions of friends who call us old-fashioned or foolish for following the teachings of our parents and childhood religion classes - and act contrary to our principles. To change because of fear of losing face or being the butt of ridicule could risk God's displeasure, loss of grace, and even loss of eternal happiness.

There's another kind of change discussed in the readings. And that's the kind of change that may be defined as conversion - from sinful ways to virtuous ones. The prophet Ezekiel (Ezekiel 18:25-28) tried to persuade his fellow-exiles in Babylon that, as long as they persisted in their sinful rejection of God's commandments, God would continue their exile. When they refused to change, God allowed the destruction of the Temple as well as the whole city of Jerusalem. Eventually, they stopped blaming God for their crimes, repented of their stubbornness, and again followed the commandments.

That's the kind of change that also won the approval of Jesus in today's Gospel (Matthew 21:28-32). The first son in the parable stubbornly said "no" to his father's request. He was ready to risk the father's displeasure and even punishment. Then, wisely, he began to feel guilty. He decided it wouldn't kill him to cut short a good time with his friends to work for his father. Let's hope that it was really love that made him change his mind. But even if it was just shame, and maybe a little fear of the consequences of his refusal, he did change his mind.

This brings to mind an incident we (Marilyn and I) had with Lily this weekend.  Evidently sometime during the week last week Lily started playing with an electronic alarm clock that I keep on an end table next to the sofa in our family room and somehow set it off.  Marilyn told her quite sternly that she was not to touch the alarm clock again. 

So when I was watching her while Marilyn was out shopping, she thought it would be her chance to play with it again.  I didn’t know about Marilyn’s admonition to Lily at this point, and I thought it was “cute” that she was reading the numbers and telling me about the clock.  Marilyn came in the door, and Lily immediately dropped the clock on the floor, then smiled at Marilyn as if to say, “Who, me?” 

Marilyn expressed disappointment in Lily and she came to me for comfort.  A little later, I saw her inching close to the clock again, and just as she was about to touch it, I gently reminded her that “Mar-Mar” doesn’t like it when she plays with the clock.  She backed right off.  My thought was that she was not really concerned about a possible spanking; rather, she was more concerned about losing Marilyn’s approval than with playing with the clock!  She doesn’t know it, but Lily taught me something.  She did not want to do anything that would keep her Mar-Mar from loving her, even for a minute!  And neither do I want to do anything that would separate me from my Loving Father, even for a second!  But, just as I know Lily will probably try to play with the clock when she thinks no one is looking and I (and Mar-Mar) will forgive her, so it is with me and God.  I try not to offend Him, but I am weak.  I am ever so grateful that His love is greater than my weakness.

How do we know when to change our minds and when not to? Saint Paul gives us sound advice: "Do nothing out of selfishness . . . rather, have that mind in you which is in Christ Jesus who humbled himself even to the point of death." (Philippians Phil 2:1-11)  To change one's mind is often humbling, especially if we risk the ridicule of worldly friends or even worldly family members. But isn't it far better to heed the truth than to stubbornly keep to the road that will eventually send us over a cliff?

No comments: