When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Do you see what I see?

In our day to day busy-ness of the holiday season, it becomes too easy to become deaf and blind to God’s presence in our midst. It is so easy to lose sight of who we are called to be in the midst of preparing to celebrate and we may grow deaf to the real meaning of this holy season.
When on earth, Christ revealed himself in various ways. Some, like the blind men, called out to Him as Messiah, the Son of David (Mt 9:27-31); others, like the woman who touched His cloak, had their quietly-held belief (Mt 9:20-22; Mk 5:25-34; Lk 8:43-47); Nicodemus came at night (Jn 3:2) and the Centurion professed his faith at the foot of the cross (Mt 27:54). I am particularly moved by how He revealed Himself to the shepherds on the day He was born, as a baby in a manger, with nothing but His mother’s body and the breath of farm animals to keep Him warm. (Lk 2: 15-20)

Advent is about waiting, longing, searching for the Lord of my life, to have Him come anew, to grant me healing mercy and deeper faith. Advent is about needing a savior, my life's refuge, and the need of all people for a Savior: "Prepare ye, the way of the Lord."(Mt 3:3)  The Lord continues to reveal Himself in various ways today—in the Eucharist, the Word, in prayer and in the communion of believers, and, as always, in our neighbor.  To quote the title of a great Christmas carol, "Do you see what I see?"

Don’t forget Day 5 of our Novena to St. Peregrine for all of those suffering from cancer or survivors of cancer, especially my neighbor Darlene, my mother and my mother-in-law.

My prayer today is that we each will find the quiet space in our lives and allow the anticipation of God’s Incarnation at Christmas to find a home in our hearts and in our lives.

No comments: