When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I've got a long way to go!

I started the day today listening to a meditation on the martyrdom of St. Stephen.  One of the points the mediator made was that even though Stephen was killed violently, he still died a “happy death”.   He was so attentive to the spiritual side of his life and his relationship with the Risen Lord that he was just plain unconcerned about the loss of his earthly life.  He was able to forgive his killers as they were stoning him and he continued to evangelize to them at the same time!   It made me realize just how far I still have to go to reach the level of attention to my spiritual life that Stephen had.      
I can only pray that God gives me the grace and the time to attain it:

O Lord Jesus, help me pay attention to the spiritual side of this life, resisting evil whenever I find it.
Increase my faith in You!  And Lord, please help my brothers and sisters who are on our side everywhere in this world to “See the Heavens open and see You standing at the right hand of the Father!”

We all fight - and pray - in Your name, Lord Jesus, for You are Lord, now and forever!

Amen.

No comments: