When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, May 10, 2012

A ten step program for happiness

As a child, I understood rules would help me make better decisions.  The commandments helped me determine right from wrong.  They were made up with things to do, and things not to do.  Willfully crossing some of those lines as a young adult did not bring me more happiness.  Eventually, and through the grace of Jesus Christ I wandered back towards following the commandments, and not too surprisingly I found happiness again.

Jesus summed up all of those commandments which have become ingrained in my being, when He said, “This is my commandment: love one another as I love you.”  He simplified it, but it is not so simple to live.  Jesus reasoned no one has greater love than to lay down their life for their friend, and He called us and we listened we are friends.  He did lay down His life for His friends.  He further explained that He had passed on all the wisdom from the Father, as a friend He is helping us live so as to find true happiness.  This wisdom continues to be communicated through the Holy Spirit. We need to remember Jesus told us He would not leave us orphans.

But this commandment, “Love one another” remains my more constant failing.  Sometimes I fail to love my family, my friends, and other people who disagree with me on a multitude of issues.  With Jesus’ teachings and all the fine examples of earthly people who lived saintly lives, I still fail to follow this simple commandment.  So, I remain a student of this teaching, conscious of my shortcomings and observing others who seem to love the unlovable.  It has been the subject of many a confession session.  To be able to see “Jesus” in each person, as Mother Theresa did is still my dream.

No comments: