When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, May 4, 2012

Treasures

Mom has been cleaning and organizing for the past few months in anticipation of a move, in case it becomes necessary.  In one of the storage areas, she came across “The Family Rosary Edition of the Holy Bible”.  It had a copyright date of 1950, 1952, 1953, and 1954.  Ours was the 1954 edition.  Mom told me that Dad bought it and several other prayer books as a set from a door to door salesman shortly after the loss of my sister at birth.  She asked me if I would like to have it, and of course I said yes.  It is the first bible I ever read!   I have been carrying it around in my car for a couple of weeks, hoping to find someone who can repair the tattered cover.  I brought it up to my apartment tonight to get it out of the weather and to do some old-fashioned (not electronic) Scripture reading and hopefully get some inspiration for a blog entry tonight. 
I didn’t get much Scripture reading in, because there was a lot of family history and important Sacramental milestones recorded within the pages of the book that caught my attention; a family tree, dates of baptisms, first Holy Communions, Confirmations, Confessions, deaths, and so on.  But that wasn’t the only treasure I found in the family bible. 

The book is filled with pictures of artwork that is found in the Vatican.  There were some familiar famous paintings, but most I have never seen (or should I say remembered?) before.  More treasures.

Also within the pages was an old, worn list titled, “Biblical Passages for Daily Living”.   It was written in script font on a typewriter (which goes to show how old the list is).   I remember hunting for this list a few years back, thinking it was in my own family Bible.  Here is the list:
Thanks, Mom, I really appreciate the gift.  I hope to pass it on to my kids and their kids.  I will get it mended, first.  What a treasure!

No comments: