When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, June 18, 2012

What a (great) day I had!

Yesterday was Father’s Day.  It was really more than I expected.  When I was a young boy and I would ask my mom or dad what they wanted for their birthday or “special” day, their response would sometimes be, “Nothing.  I have everything I want, especially you kids.”  I would think “Why would anyone turn down a present?” 
As I get older (and older and older) I really understand what they meant.  It’s nice to get presents but it’s nicer just to have the family’s presence around me, and to know that I make a real difference in their lives.  The cards I received from Marilyn, Alicia and Lily, Sarah, and Mom had sentiments I needed to hear. 
I was able to spend a quality day with Mom on Saturday, and go to Mass. (Where the most magnificent Presence surrounds me every week!).

On Sunday Marilyn, Alicia, and Lily took me to see a movie—Madagascar3.  I didn’t see, nor did I even know about Madagascar 1 or 2, but it was pretty funny.  Then we went up to Sacramento to meet with (as Lily says) SarahandTony (one word) to have dinner at a very nice restaurant. 

It was a perfectly relaxing day.  I’d like to have more of those. Well, there's always NEXT Father's Day! 

No comments: